• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trying to steal an oil tanker....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to steal an oil tanker....

Attempted hijacking of oil tanker reported off Isle of Wight | UK news | The Guardian

Police and coastguard officers are dealing with reports of an attempted hijacking of a Liberian-registered tanker off the Isle of Wight.

The vessel, the Nave Andromeda crude oil tanker, was said to have been forced to anchor south of Sandown.

A Hampshire police spokesman said: “We are aware and dealing with an ongoing incident on board a vessel which is situated south of the Isle of Wight.”

The Ministry of Defence denied it was involved in the incident or that any members of the Special Boat Service had been scrambled.

Police and coastguard staff were handling the operation, the MoD said.

A spokeswoman for Associated British Ports, which runs Southampton port, said it had not had any contact with the vessel and had no further comment.

It is understood that the 228-metre tanker had been expected to dock in Southampton at 10.30am on Sunday.

Two coastguard helicopters have been scrambled to the scene and were spotted circling the ship as it adopted an erratic, zig-zag course through the Channel. An exclusion zone was set up south of Sandown. The vessel was reported to have left Lagos, Nigeria earlier this month.

An aerial photograph of the ship, shared on Twitter, showed it sitting high in the water.

Unconfirmed reports suggested that a number of stowaways may have attempted to take control of the ship as it approached the UK.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Shoot them

Comment

When I worked for a Lloyd's insurance agency years ago we modelled something like this. Pre WTC we'd looked at a plane crashing into the twin towers but not both towers; next we looked at other 'similar' types of attacks and to us hijacking a tanker and sending it full speed into a port was feasible. So, not surprised this has happened, just surprised it's taken so long.

Will watch this story with interest.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Turns out to be just some Nigerian stow-aways on the ship

Comment

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Proper operation by the looks of it!

Tanker stowaways: ‘Hijacking’ ends after special forces storm ship - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              You missed highlighting this important part -

The 748ft-long (228m) ship left Lagos on 5 October, and was heading to Fawley Oil Refinery near Southampton.

Comment

And the stowaways got what they wanted, am I missing something here ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  And the stowaways got what they wanted, am I missing something here ?
                  I don't think part of their wishing to be in the UK was being detained under her majesty's pleasure. I suppose it's a case of being careful of what you wish for....

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    When I worked for a Lloyd's insurance agency years ago we modelled something like this. Pre WTC we'd looked at a plane crashing into the twin towers but not both towers; next we looked at other 'similar' types of attacks and to us hijacking a tanker and sending it full speed into a port was feasible. So, not surprised this has happened, just surprised it's taken so long.

Will watch this story with interest.
                    Boffins at Lloyds think a plane can crash into a building more than once.

Was this a unobtainium made plane?
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X