• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

“ I owe £180,000 in tax and I haven’t told my wife”

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Mrs Eek pointed this out to me earlier today - and being honest it's not HMRC John should be scared of, it's the liquidator or trust trying to recover the "loaned" money.
    How much would someone have had to gross over the years to accumulate a £180K loan charge?
    Last edited by Paralytic; 26 October 2020, 09:50.

Comment

People forget that only ultra rich people and large companies can do tax evasions. Small fries like us don't stand a chance and shouldn't try these shenanigans.

Comment

No tulip sherlock.

Sort of along the lines of "if it seems too good to be true it probably is".

Only little people pay taxes.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          How much would someone have had to gross over the years to accumulate a £180K loan charge?
          Would that figure include penalties/interest?
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Loan charge has interest yes...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              If it’s a loan charge then it probably does not (penalties - unless for non-payment for loan charge itself), but loan charge is not a final settlement.

Comment

Tax evasion happens at the low level as well. Just watch how many people pay their grocery shopping in cash with hundred pound notes. Most of the trades people do jobs cash in hand giving a VAT discount to customer.

However, joining a scheme leaves behind a trail that HMRC can sniff easily. When the crackdown kicked off, i think 2007ish, the busted scheme users started blaming HMRC for their woes. They said HMRC should have molly coddled them and advised them on the schemes. Anybody to blame but themselves. The bottom line is, the prospect of not paying any tax on 150k worth of earnings was very juicy and lured these mugs in. They thought this will all fly under the radar, they have discovered a loophole that is not available to anybody else, they visioned themselves as private jet setting Richard Branson types dealing with off shore trusts and mystic Seychelles based shell companies.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Tax evasion happens at the low level as well. Just watch how many people pay their grocery shopping in cash with hundred pound notes.
                  That would be a clever trick - the biggest note any bank issues is £50 and most places will only accept £20s.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Most of the trades people do jobs cash in hand giving a VAT discount to customer.
                    They don't do all their jobs cash in hand unless they want trouble from HMRC.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      They don't do all their jobs cash in hand unless they want trouble from HMRC.
                      But almost all trades people offer the option. In the past few years I have had guys quoting for Driveway, windows, doors, plastering, kitchen etc all give me the option. I have always opted for VAT included bank transfer instead. They have been fine with that, but surely if they offer it, plenty will take it.
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X