• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

“ I owe £180,000 in tax and I haven’t told my wife”

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Making it a criminal offence to run schemes would be a better deterrent. The risk of jail time would soon put a stop to the scheme pedlers.
    But seeing as the scheme is in effect a loan, how do you criminalise it?
    Most of the nudge, wink sales patter is verbal.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      Assuming 40% tax, then he'd have received £450k in loans. The scheme provider probably took about a 10% fee, and there would have been a small salary as well as the loans. So, all in all, north of £500k.

Then it depends how long he was in the scheme. Could have been 10 years at £50k p.a., or 5 years at £100k p.a. etc.
      More like 2.5 years for most of us on here

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Well, they managed to come up with loan charge legislation to specifically target these DR loans without affecting any other lending.

Therefore, they could have made it a criminal offence 10 years ago to supply DR loans.
        Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 26 October 2020, 15:06.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Scheme involves steps that take normally work related taxable income and turn it into loans - it’s those coordinated steps that should make it an illegal tax evasion conspiracy - crime against the People!

Comment

Deleted

Comment

"John" was on this prog yesterday:

BBC Radio 4 - File on 4, Taxing Situations

Transcript:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rmhttp/fi...situations.pdf
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

If you want a satisfying takedown of one of these schemes, have a read of this...

Originally posted by Ian Richardson GT Leeds View Post
                Revenue & Customs v Opus Bestpay Ltd (DOTAS - Application for order that certain arrangements are notifiable) [2020] UKFTT 408 (TC) (18 August 2020)

Revenue & Customs v Opus Bestpay Ltd (DOTAS - Application for order that certain arrangements are notifiable) [2020] UKFTT 408 (TC) (18 August 2020)
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Filed in 2017

“ Sitting in public at Taylor House, 88 Rosebery Avenue, London on 15 and 16 November 2018”

“ RELEASE DATE: 18 AUGUST 2020”

3 years ffs, from filing!

Comment

You don't - what you do is work out a variation of section 61O of the 2020 Finance Act in such a way that unless the money is paid to a compliant umbrella the responsibility for payment of the tax due is passed back to the agency.

As an agency has the responsibilty of checking umbrellas are really compliant you try and find a 3rd party who is continually testing and checking compliance rather than hope that passing a rather dodgy annual test ran by the accountancy firm who didn't notice €8bn didn't actually exist is good enough.
                    Last edited by eek; 26 October 2020, 17:03.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I know this is general so forgive me for asking but having read the hmrc forums can I just make sure I understand in a nutshell what happened to people who took out loans as disguised renumeration

1) hmrc are rolling up all the loans and taxing them in one year - ok that I understand and expected from the loan scheme

2) more worryingly liquidators are now chasing the contractors and asking for the loans to be repaid

Is this the way the cookie crumbles with the contractor get shafted by both hmrc and liquidator or a bogus loan?

Like I said I did not do this loan scheme but if (2) is true then this is really nuts

Comment

Working...
                      X