• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No income tax for two years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No income tax for two years

Just got a massive tax rebate. Enough to pay my tax for two years.

That's what happens when you pay on account and your income halves!
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Glad you're receiving help in your time of need.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Glad you're receiving help in your time of need.
      WZS

Sorry for your troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

It's not a rebate. They're just returning what is already rightfully yours and should never have been paid in the first place. I hope they gave you interest.

This whole Payment on Account idea stinks like a Minority Report pile of crap.

How can anyone accept that taxing as-yet unearned future income is a good idea? How did HMRC ever get that past the slackers in Parliament - or actually, no, that's an easy one to answer.

Comment

Sorry to hear does PC know anything about signing on in switzerland?

Pray4NAT -- too soon?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            It's not a rebate. They're just returning what is already rightfully yours and should never have been paid in the first place. I hope they gave you interest.

This whole Payment on Account idea stinks like a Minority Report pile of crap.

How can anyone accept that taxing as-yet unearned future income is a good idea? How did HMRC ever get that past the slackers in Parliament - or actually, no, that's an easy one to answer.
            WHS
            its a fine example of daylight robbery where you have to pay 2 years of tax instead of one year. I can afford to pay but how do people who are already struggling financially cope with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
              WHS
              its a fine example of daylight robbery where you have to pay 2 years of tax instead of one year. I can afford to pay but how do people who are already struggling financially cope with this.
              You can submit your tax return to state that your next year's earnings are not expected to be as high as the previous years and reduce/remove your payments on account.

Of course, if you turn out to be wrong, you pay interest on the payment on account you would have paid.

Comment

Winner winner chicken dinner

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  You can submit your tax return to state that your next year's earnings are not expected to be as high as the previous years and reduce/remove your payments on account.

Of course, if you turn out to be wrong, you pay interest on the payment on account you would have paid.
                  My very first accountant kept telling me to remove payments on account and one year it caught up with me and I ended up paying interest (but fortunately no penalities). They gave me the impression that PoA was optional and could be removed, not that it was mandatory!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    My very first accountant kept telling me to remove payments on account and one year it caught up with me and I ended up paying interest (but fortunately no penalities). They gave me the impression that PoA was optional and could be removed, not that it was mandatory!
                    I vaguely recall a rule a few years back that if your tax due was over £1,000 then you would have to pay on account? I had a large overpayment one year of about £7k.

Comment

Working...
                    X