• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

But where are the deaths???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

My brother has a cough and his boss said not to go back to work until he'd had a covid test, despite it not appearing to be a dry cough and him having no other covid symptoms
    I wonder where they boss stands legally with this.

An employee can self-diagnose for 5 (I think) sick days without a sick note.
    I don’t think a boss can.
    So presumably your brother is on full pay pending a formal diagnosis or your brother self-diagnosing?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The health services are going to be overwhelmed with all the normal lurgy being treated as potential covid and all the kid gloves as if it's 100% fatal.

My brother has a cough and his boss said not to go back to work until he'd had a covid test, despite it not appearing to be a dry cough and him having no other covid symptoms, so highly likely just a routine chest infection/cold. So he's just been for a test, though there seemed to be lots of spare slots at the nearest centre, he got in within 30 mins of starting the booking. He did try to talk to someone in the NHS about the symptoms to make sure he needed a test but they were no use, basically saying to do it online.

Oh well, keeps some people busy if they have nothing better to do.
      People who are sick and still trying to go to work or go about their lives like nothing is happening is a big reason why we are in this mess.

If you have a cough stay home, get tested, go to work only if it's negative and you need to be at work (false negatives are much more prevalent than false positives)

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

So presumably your brother is on full pay pending a formal diagnosis or your brother self-diagnosing?
        So he goes for a covid test which common sense dictates he should and hey presto it's a non issue.
        One of my client colleagues thought they had cold on Monday and has just had it confirmed today they are covid positive. Her hubby is also positive with no symptoms. Really surprised both her and the rest of us in the team. They are in their 50's so the bosses advice in the case her is absolutely spot on.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yup, it just means that anyone with a cough needs a test, so the testing capacity needs to cover all the normal lurgies over winter. I'm sure it'll cope ...
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Hospitalisations have doubled here each week over the last three weeks. 62->177->342. New restrictions have just been announced.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Here too, starting next week
              Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Hospitalisations have doubled here each week over the last three weeks. 62->177->342. New restrictions have just been announced.
              Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Not sure what he's arranging beyond waiting for the test results and as he is ill anyway he's off sick as they don't want someone coughing around the place covid or not.

Did see mention of a covid isolation note available from the NHS online if need proof for an employer that you've been told to self-isolate either through a positive test or from being contacted by track and trace.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Not sure what he's arranging beyond waiting for the test results and as he is ill anyway he's off sick as they don't want someone coughing around the place covid or not.

Did see mention of a covid isolation note available from the NHS online if need proof for an employer that you've been told to self-isolate either through a positive test or from being contacted by track and trace.
                  Presumably only needed for any sick period longer than self declared.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The sick notes have been available since the start of all these shenanigans. I believe there's a link in the covid help sticky

Comment

Yup, it just means that anyone with a cough needs a test, so the testing capacity needs to cover all the normal lurgies over winter. I'm sure it'll cope ...
                      ... Regardless of whether it can cope or not it is one of the most common symptoms. New continuous cough. That alone is considered enough to get tested. If testing capacity can't meet demand then they will just need to prioritize tests... But those symptomatic people who can't get tested will just need to presume they're positive and isolate.

The more sick people that get tested and/or isolate the less restrictions needed on healthy people.

Comment

Working...
                      X