• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

But where are the deaths???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    What would you prefer as a measure of the impact?

Maybe your bank account?

If you reject everything medical or science based, then there's not much left. Unless you are Boris/Trump.
    ... I am not rejecting anything science based. I have spent my career doing analytics and I have a master's in data science. I'm a fan of data based decision making obviously.

Looking at excess deaths in isolation is an issue because it measures both the impact of covid-19 and the interventions. It's difficult to try and isolate which one is having the impact.

Even if it did just measure covid-19 the year to year variability is too high to get anything meaningful from a single year (2020) you'd have to compare multiple years to multiple years.

As far as what's a better metric to use that's a good question... I don't know what the best metric to use is, but it's probably some breakdown/combinations of the causes of and demographics of the dead.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      ... I am not rejecting anything science based. I have spent my career doing analytics and I have a master's in data science. I'm a fan of data based decision making obviously.

Looking at excess deaths in isolation is an issue because it measures both the impact of covid-19 and the interventions. It's difficult to try and isolate which one is having the impact.

Even if it did just measure covid-19 the year to year variability is too high to get anything meaningful from a single year (2020) you'd have to compare multiple years to multiple years.

As far as what's a better metric to use that's a good question... I don't know what the best metric to use is, but it's probably some breakdown/combinations of the causes of and demographics of the dead.
      Are you a statistician who works the ONS or other country/international equivalents? Are you an epidemiologist?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Are you a statistician who works the ONS or other country/international equivalents? Are you an epidemiologist?

No they are someone who rejects any scientific evidence that goes against their prejudices.

Science is about learning and having an open mind. If the response is “I reject your science but cannot offer a better alternative or prove yours is wrong”, then it’s unscientific.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

No they are someone who makes up stuff based on their opinions like me
          FTFY
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

No they are someone who rejects any scientific evidence that goes against their prejudices.

Science is about learning and having an open mind. If the response is “I reject your science but cannot offer a better alternative or prove yours is wrong”, then it’s unscientific.
            Lol I love how I give a very objective criticism of using a specific metric and back it up and you guys come back at me with personal insults and I'm the science denier?

I stated clearly why it's a bad metric.

Do you even know what science is? I am not aware of any component of science that says to disprove or disagree with something you need to have a stronger alternative???

I did give an alternative anyway, I am just not going to spend 40+ hours putting something detailed together just so that I can casually reply to a post on the general forum of an it contractor site.

Comment

I've mentioned multiple metrics. I mentioned deaths, and someone complained that includes everyone who dies within a month of a positive test regardless of cause. So I mentioned excess deaths and someone says that includes issues too.

The point is, all these metrics tell roughly the same story. The scale might be slightly different, but the shape of the graph is the same - testing level being broadly stable you see hospitalisations follow tests by a week or two, and deaths follow that by another fortnight.

If people think these metrics are lying, present a graph which contradicts the accepted narrative, and shows COVID deaths are not rapidly increasing.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

595 deaths in the last 24 hours, 50k mark

Covid: UK first country in Europe to pass 50,000 deaths - BBC News

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Hasn't Door Matt asked for them to change the way it's counted? He did that last time it got bear 50k
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Deaths dropped markedly after they stopped counting people dieing 28 days after test...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      The electors voted for incompetence, so stop being so anti-democratic.

Comment

Working...
                      X