• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That slippery slope...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That slippery slope...

This is an edited version of the the Cambridge Freshfields Annual Law Lecture, which Lord Sumption delivered on 27 October.

It's quite a long read and contains some big words so the Fail readers may find it too challenging.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/-this-is-how-freedom-dies-the-folly-of-britain-s-coercive-covid-strategy

As I posted this on my phone last night, here's the opening paragraph so you get an idea of what this is about:

"During the Covid-19 pandemic, the British state has exercised coercive powers over its citizens on a scale never previously attempted. It has taken effective legal control, enforced by the police, over the personal lives of the entire population: where they could go, whom they could meet, what they could do even within their own homes. For three months it placed everybody under a form of house arrest, qualified only by their right to do a limited number of things approved by ministers. All of this has been authorised by ministerial decree with minimal Parliamentary involvement. It has been the most significant interference with personal freedom in the history of our country. We have never sought to do such a thing before, even in wartime and even when faced with health crises far more serious than this one."
    Last edited by ladymuck; 29 October 2020, 11:05.

DOOM thread without warning in title?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      This is an edited version of the the Cambridge Freshfields Annual Law Lecture, which Lord Sumption delivered on 27 October.

It's quite a long read and contains some big words so the Fail readers may find it too challenging.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...covid-strategy
      Excellent article and well written; I agree 100%. It reads like a QC's skeleton argument and then I realized it was from a former senior judge in the Supreme Court.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Just look at some of the details in the Finance Act 2020, this government is drunk on power and not the slightest bit conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...covid-strategy
          Why does everyone assume that Daily Fail readers are thick as pig crap and can't read big words? I read the daily mail I'll have you know.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Why does everyone assume that Daily Fail readers are thick as pig crap and can't read big words? I read the daily mail I'll have you know.
            Yes, and to prove it you continue to obfuscate your interlocutors with sesquipedalianisms...

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Bless your little cottons

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                DOOM thread without warning in title?
                It's not a doom thread. It's an observation / opinion piece. It's there to foster discussion and debate not make people want to

Comment

Is that why you forgot the capital letters?
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Thanks for linking to that. Jonathan Sumption speaks a lot of sense.
                    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                    X