That slippery slope... That slippery slope...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 23

Double Godlike!

ladymuck has reached the peak. Play again?

Default That slippery slope...

This is an edited version of the the Cambridge Freshfields Annual Law Lecture, which Lord Sumption delivered on 27 October.

It's quite a long read and contains some big words so the Fail readers may find it too challenging.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/-this-is-how-freedom-dies-the-folly-of-britain-s-coercive-covid-strategy

As I posted this on my phone last night, here's the opening paragraph so you get an idea of what this is about:

"During the Covid-19 pandemic, the British state has exercised coercive powers over its citizens on a scale never previously attempted. It has taken effective legal control, enforced by the police, over the personal lives of the entire population: where they could go, whom they could meet, what they could do even within their own homes. For three months it placed everybody under a form of house arrest, qualified only by their right to do a limited number of things approved by ministers. All of this has been authorised by ministerial decree with minimal Parliamentary involvement. It has been the most significant interference with personal freedom in the history of our country. We have never sought to do such a thing before, even in wartime and even when faced with health crises far more serious than this one."
    Last edited by ladymuck; 29th October 2020 at 11:05.

My post count is Majestic

AtW is always on top

DOOM thread without warning in title?

Double Godlike!

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    This is an edited version of the the Cambridge Freshfields Annual Law Lecture, which Lord Sumption delivered on 27 October.

It's quite a long read and contains some big words so the Fail readers may find it too challenging.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...covid-strategy
    Excellent article and well written; I agree 100%. It reads like a QC's skeleton argument and then I realized it was from a former senior judge in the Supreme Court.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Contractor Among Contractors

TwoWolves is NOT a disguised employee

Just look at some of the details in the Finance Act 2020, this government is drunk on power and not the slightest bit conservative.

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...covid-strategy
    Why does everyone assume that Daily Fail readers are thick as pig crap and can't read big words? I read the daily mail I'll have you know.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Double Godlike!

malvolio - scorchio!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why does everyone assume that Daily Fail readers are thick as pig crap and can't read big words? I read the daily mail I'll have you know.
    Yes, and to prove it you continue to obfuscate your interlocutors with sesquipedalianisms...

Blog? What blog...?

Double Godlike!

Bless your little cottons

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    DOOM thread without warning in title?
    It's not a doom thread. It's an observation / opinion piece. It's there to foster discussion and debate not make people want to

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is always on top

Is that why you forgot the capital letters?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Contractor Among Contractors

Uncle Albert is NOT a disguised employee

Thanks for linking to that. Jonathan Sumption speaks a lot of sense.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.