• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eat Out to Help Out increased coronavirus infection rates, study finds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eat Out to Help Out increased coronavirus infection rates, study finds

“ The government’s Eat Out to Help Out scheme drove up Covid-19 infections while offering only short-lived economic benefits, a study suggests.

The research concludes that the £500 million scheme, championed by the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, led to a significant rise in new cases in August and early September, contributing to the pandemic’s second wave.

The scheme “may have indirect economic and public health costs that vastly outstrip its short-term economic benefits”, a paper from the economics department of Warwick University says.”

Eat Out to Help Out increased coronavirus infection rates, study finds | News | The Times

What a shocker!

And they could have fed children with that money.

Or more likely controlled the virus so the children's parents had jobs once furlough ended.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      And they could have fed children with that money.
      It's not a case of either-or.

This news isn't hugely surprising but the fault seems to lie with the venues not enforcing distancing, in my view. We took advantage of the scheme to visit a nice Indian restaurant we like, had to book a week in advance and when we got there they hadn't moved any tables or done anything apart from put a hand sanitiser by the door. Nearly walked out but cases were very low in our area.

Shame, as the idea of stimulus rather than handouts is far better IMO. But we're seeing time and time again, the public cannot be trusted to act sensibly. Strong governance sadly (for my ideology at least) seems to be the only answer.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        It's not a case of either-or.

This news isn't hugely surprising but the fault seems to lie with the venues not enforcing distancing, in my view. We took advantage of the scheme to visit a nice Indian restaurant we like, had to book a week in advance and when we got there they hadn't moved any tables or done anything apart from put a hand sanitiser by the door. Nearly walked out but cases were very low in our area.

Shame, as the idea of stimulus rather than handouts is far better IMO. But we're seeing time and time again, the public cannot be trusted to act sensibly. Strong governance sadly (for my ideology at least) seems to be the only answer.
        Not trying to blame you or attack you here, but I'm afraid it's attitudes like this that help the virus spread. Many, many people expect others to make a change, take action but don't want to put themselves out.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Statistically, back then there was something like a 1:2000 chance of someone having CV. 50 people in the restaurant, probably 4 people within 2m of us and none facing us. Do the math as they say Technically the 1m+ rule might have being adhered to, it was at least partly the shock of being in a room with other people for the first time in 6 months!

Cases in our region did not start to rise until quite a while after EOTHO as it happens, it's all about people mixing in homes here. Maybe in other regions it was different.
          Last edited by d000hg; 30 October 2020, 16:34.

Comment

Statistically, back then there was something like a 1:2000 chance of someone having CV. 50 people in the restaurant, probably 4 people within 2m of us and none facing us. Do the math as they say
            Yes, let's do the math - people who serve you in a restaurant would have had how many people go past them over a few weeks and then serve you?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Yes, let's do the math - people who serve you in a restaurant would have had how many people go past them over a few weeks and then serve you?

You don't catch Covid from 20s near a waiter. You catch it from 20m sat near someone. It's a real disease, not a zombie movie.

This is the real cause of problems:
              Nottinghamshire tier 3: Crowds gather ahead of new restrictions - BBC News

Comment

You don't catch Covid from 20s near a waiter. You catch it from 20m sat near someone. It's a real disease, not a zombie movie.
                Of course - waiters don’t breathe and don’t touch your dishes and cutlery.

Comment

Statistically, back then there was something like a 1:2000 chance of someone having CV. 50 people in the restaurant, probably 4 people within 2m of us and none facing us. Do the math as they say Technically the 1m+ rule might have being adhered to, it was at least partly the shock of being in a room with other people for the first time in 6 months!

Cases in our region did not start to rise until quite a while after EOTHO as it happens, it's all about people mixing in homes here. Maybe in other regions it was different.
                  So, by this logic it's everyone else who needs to change their actions and not you because you've made a personal risk assessment and decided you're ok? Do you not see why this is part of the problem?

What you did was blame the venue, but you still chose to stay thus you're as culpable now as those owners.

You're not alone, the majority of the country is acting in a similar way hence why the virus is running so rampant.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Absolutely. I saw that footage and now looking forward to Tier 5, which needs to include public flogging for repeat offenders.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X