• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What’s everyone driving these days ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 series for motorway cruising / longer trips
    1 series for popping to the shops, ferrying kids etc

Had both for more than 5 years and they've been rock solid since I got them and got rid of the money pit that was an XC90

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Odds are if you’ve got a flashy car you’ve got it on credit, those with money don’t need to flaunt it
      The longer the Volvo has been in the family the wealthier the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
        23 years for our 1997 V40 and still going strong. We're the exception.
        Um, yeah. You kind of need a 240, 850 or V70 to carry it off properly.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
          An old neighbour of mine is still running the same 740 estate he bought in 1987.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
            An old neighbour of mine is still running the same 740 estate he bought in 1987.
            I deliberately didn't list the 740. Didn't last the old money look and ended up as the car boot sale workhorse for the masses after half a decade of landed ownership. The 2.4 Auto fuel economy was just too silly for the usual demographic.

I would have loved to have owned one that long.

Comment

I deliberately didn't list the 740. Didn't last the old money look and ended up as the car boot sale workhorse for the masses after half a decade of landed ownership. The 2.4 Auto fuel economy was just too silly for the usual demographic.

I would have loved to have owned one that long.
              The owner is a lovely old chap. Been at the house since the early 80's He has certainly taken care of the car over the years. I drove past there about 6 weeks ago. The car is still there. Looked in good condition, I know he is still alive from other people I know in the locality. I last spoke to him about 4 years ago. He must surely be in his mid 80's now. I think the car will leave the house when he leaves the house in a box.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

240 (245GLT), 760 (765GLE), never owned an 850 but many, many V70 before people knew what a V70 (Phase/Generation 1) T5 actually entailed. Then a V70R (but too skittish) so bought a V70 (Phase 2) T5, then into V70 D5s (Phase 2 and then Phase 3). Hated the V70 T6. Never owned a XC90 as the V8 was rare but have run S60 and S80.

Left Volvo a decade ago for Mercedes - yes another ML owner (450 not 63) but use an E Class for work/contracting.

As one MD said to me whilst we were discussing next car at dinner - "for *uck's sake do not turn up in a Maserarti or the FD may start to ask questions". Car park envy is very much still alive and well at many clients. A 3-5 year old E Class does not upset many people.

Comment

Originally posted by FMCG View Post
                  A 3-5 year old E Class does not upset many people.
                  So you say. I'm ******* triggered.

Comment

So you say. I'm ******* triggered.
                    Particularly when it’s sitting in one of the overtaking lanes on a motorway.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

57 plate Lexus RX

50k worth of kit for about 8 grand. As much as I miss my Cayman, a used Porsche still needs expensive new Porsche parts to look after it properly. Saves having a practical car as well.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X