• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What’s everyone driving these days ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    On e-cars, for 99% of the driving we do (100% during Covid) it would be fine as a round-trip could be done on one charge. But on, say a weekend away we tend to go somewhere fairly remote e.g. a B&B in the Yorkshire dales... unlikely to reliably find a charging point. And then on longer trips, it seems impractical.
    So do we have a 2nd car just for a handful of days a year?
    I used to think that way, but its surprising just how many charge points there are, and it is literally 25 mins to get to 80% charge on all 100% e-cars , so its stopping for a wee and a bite to eat.

If you're skeptical, download one of the charging apps like ZapMap and check when you're doing a journey in your petrol car.

I bought PHEV for the reasons you give, and I regret it. I wish I'd gone full e-car.

Comment

I just bought a BMW SUV

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
        I just bought a BMW SUV
        Wow, not many people have those on the roads.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I just bought a BMW SUV
          I had to have a look at the X1 as its on a list I can choose from for my renewal if I choose to. (Motability, disabled driver, cannot use pedals for distance driving, need adaptations) It seemed nice enough but i'm not sure it would be comfortable on a long run.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
            I used to think that way, but its surprising just how many charge points there are, and it is literally 25 mins to get to 80% charge on all 100% e-cars , so its stopping for a wee and a bite to eat.

If you're skeptical, download one of the charging apps like ZapMap and check when you're doing a journey in your petrol car.

I bought PHEV for the reasons you give, and I regret it. I wish I'd gone full e-car.
            25 minutes to get 80% charge on all electric cars ???? Not true. #fakenews

Problems are
            - majority of chargers are slow chargers (very few rapid chargers)
            - go to a service station and the rapid charger is always busy
            - lots of chargers are broken

The infrastructure is terrible unless you have a tesla.

Comment

I just bought a BMW SUV

Oh dear. Let’s hope your life turns around soon.
              How many people are you taking to house viewings this week?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
                25 minutes to get 80% charge on all electric cars ???? Not true. #fakenews

Problems are
                - majority of chargers are slow chargers (very few rapid chargers)
                - go to a service station and the rapid charger is always busy
                - lots of chargers are broken

The infrastructure is terrible unless you have a tesla.
                I was going to say:
                Which car doesn't allow an 80% charge in 25 minutes on a rapid charger at the stations?

But you are right, it's 45 minutes. (e-up and 1st gen VW e cars, leaf) - but the majority of others are faster than that. I didnt have my facts right there. Just all the e-cars I'm looking at do 80% in 25 mins on 50kw. (new VW's etc).

Whilst I only have a PHEV - I've NEVER had a charging point availability problem , and I live in the North East, where E cars seem to be everywhere (leafs etc, I think Nissan workers get big deals on them)
                Last edited by Scoobos; 21 November 2020, 13:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                  I was going to say:
                  and I live in the North East, where E cars seem to be everywhere (leafs etc, I think Nissan workers get big deals on them)
                  Its the same where ever there is a car factory and certainly the same here in South Warwickshire (JLR and Aston country). Staff get the best deals on the products(some equate to over 60% off!)
                  Then there are the family and friends discounts and these can be astronomical too. A neighbour just got around 30% off a Discovery.
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

what's the best suv/car with best seats for back support ?
                    I have lower back pain and cars with low height seats or poor back support are a pain to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                      what's the best suv/car with best seats for back support ?
                      I have lower back pain and cars with low height seats or poor back support are a pain to drive.
                      I do get lower back pain amongst my many health issues and can say this from previous recent cars. (Last 5 years)

Merc's good (C/GLE) . Range Rover Not so good. Kia ok but not brilliant. VW Golf good. I need a new car. I tried a Jaguar I- Pace, Volvo XC40 and a BMW x1 pre lockdown 2. The BMw's were not very comfy. Jag were ok. The Volvo's on the other hand were very good. (I was having a bit of a flare up and felt ok in the Volvo)
                      Former IPSE member
                      My Website

Comment

Working...
                      X