• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about freedom of speech and expression

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Taking the piss out of Mohammed or publishing irreverent cartoons (or even rude ones) about him is not banned under UK law. Being racist is. HTH.

And you need to be careful.

Race and religion are closely linked. So don't, for example, go around insulting Sikhs as you may be done on racist grounds rather than religious grounds.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      And you need to be careful.

Race and religion are closely linked. So don't, for example, go around insulting Sikhs as you may be done on racist grounds rather than religious grounds.
      I'm really careful who I insult now. Seems safest to stick to being racist against white people and insulting Christianity.

I'm joking of course. Not sure it's allowed to make jokes here on this private forum with unknown rules and laws as decreed by the unelected moderators?

I'm joking of course.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        I'm really careful who I insult now. Seems safest to stick to being racist against white people and insulting Christianity.

You could, of course, just not insult anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          Seems everyone is offended these days. Probably why I hardly speak to anyone.

Good advice though.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            That's not the British way...

Comment

You could still be done.

Cases have been brought in workplaces for racial discrimination for insulting German people, and leave Christians alone as they will get one of those US funded groups on you to make your life a living misery.

Comment

... the unelected moderators?
                It's not a democracy either. The rules are here: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...p?do=showrules. The vast majority of posts do not get moderated, so my guess is most people are able to figure out what they can get away with and what they can't. There are jokes here: jokes, here funny pictures and here Brexit jokes. Not all may be to your taste, but knock yourself out.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It's quite possible to disagree with someone and not be offensive about it

Comment

Don't get why it matters. If someone is offend by a depiction on paper it speaks volumes more about them than the depiction..

You don't have to look far. That moment statues in the UK were torn down because of something people did that was perfectly normal at the time was an astounding sight to be sure. Arguably Christianity has the belief of its followers have split more blood in conflict than any other. Should we tear down every depiction of Christ? Of course not. Why? Because without history reminding us of where we came from the door is opened for us to walk through again.

And now we've come full circle, populism and the offended snowflakes. Lock em up in a room and let them get on with it. The victors will probably build some status in honuor of their inspirational leaders.

It is a wonder the species ever got off this blue rock into the stars.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I can show drawn picture of _V_’s sockie master, is that a bannable offence?

Comment

Working...
                      X