• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about freedom of speech and expression

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about freedom of speech and expression

If I create cartoons depicting a certain religious historic figure, it will cause great offence to millions of people, someone will likely attack and kill me and the police (at least in France) will shoot them.

If I create cartoons depicting slavery or racist images, it will cause great offence to millions of people and the police will come after me and I will likely end up in prison.

Am I talking rubbish or is there certain taboo subjects and others open to offence in the name of free speech?
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    If I create cartoons depicting a certain religious historic figure, it will cause great offence to millions of people, someone will likely attack and kill me and the police (at least in France) will shoot them.

If I create cartoons depicting slavery or racist images, it will cause great offence to millions of people and the police will come after me and I will likely end up in prison.

Am I talking rubbish or is there certain taboo subjects and others open to offence in the name of free speech?
    Wrong forum since the snowflakes took over the asylum.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

But if you offend me using racist language or images, I can contact the police.

If you offend my religion, I will have to find you and kill you, because it is your right to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        Wrong forum since the snowflakes took over the asylum.
        I suspect I will be banned and the thread deleted.

Comment

Maybe the mods have an opinion (or they can copy something they read in the Guardian)?

Comment

If you truly believe in freedom of speech, you also take responsibility that your words and actions will be offensive to someone. We all share the same world and consideration and responsibilty for your impact on others is key.

Freedom of speech isn't about "I can say and do what I want and to hell with the rest of you".

It is about ensuring that all voices can be heard in a respectful manner and that groups are not persecuted for expressing a view that others want suppressed.

Sadly freedom of speech in so-called 'free' countries, such as the UK, is increasingly defined as being allowed to agree with certain points of view and if you don't, then you're a 'phobe' or 'denier' or some such. The ability to have a reasoned and respectful conversation between groups that don't agree with each other feels like it's completely lost. Some days I wonder if the more oppressive states actually have greater freedom of speech.

Comment

Who says you have freedom of speech? It's enshrined in the US constitution but no where else
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

But if you offend me using racist language or images, I can contact the police.

If you offend my religion, I will have to find you and kill you, because it is your right to do so.

In the UK religion is protected just as race is. But comment is permitted, for instance If you hit someone and call them a Fenian bastard that counts as a hate aggravated crime but if you tell the Ghandi on roller skates joke that is fine.

Racist and Religious Hate Crime - Prosecution Guidance | The Crown Prosecution Service

I think that is the correct approach.

Those who really believe will ignore the offense.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's the pot calling the kettle black. If you google anti-Semitic cartoon images and anti Christian cartoons you will see much worse than published by Charlie Hebdo. You will see which countries publish anti Semitic and anti Christian cartoons and these were done long before Charlie Hebdo. Furthermore, places of worship are bleating out rubbish against anyone who is not of their religion but they will not stand for criticism against themselves.

The reaction against France is being promoted by various governments who claim it's OK to sacrifice life if their religion is insulted.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Maybe the mods have an opinion (or they can copy something they read in the Guardian)?

Sorry. I only take the Times.

You have no freedom of speech in a privately owned forum. If you set out to offend, your post will be deleted and you may be banned, because that's trolling.

In the UK, those Islamic terrorists who don't blow themselves up tend to get shot by the police. So why you say "at least in France" is beyond me. Taking the piss out of Mohammed or publishing irreverent cartoons (or even rude ones) about him is not banned under UK law. Publishing racist cartoons is. HTH.

In the West, we're largely free to do what we like so stop whining "ooo... nasty mods won't let me be an arse and deliberately upset people". Boo ****ing hoo. You've got freedom, don't use your freedom to do bad things.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X