• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The sinking island voting for Trump

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sinking island voting for Trump

"Tangier Island, a part of Virginia, is slowly disappearing due to erosion and rising water levels, but this US community of fishermen is putting its faith in a sea wall - and President Trump - to protect their homes, jobs and way of life.

But Chesapeake Bay residents warn that their neighbours are in denial about the threat of climate change."

US election 2020 latest: Obama and Biden criss-cross US three days from poll - BBC News

Island not sinking, sea rising. x in pedantic mode - need a vodka.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Island not sinking, sea rising.
      Exactly right - if one wants to solve a problem it needs to be described correctly.

A+!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Island not sinking, sea rising. x in pedantic mode - need a vodka.
        Actually, it's both - isostatic (when glaciers move, the earth rebounds and that happens over thousands of years) and eustatic (global sea levels rise because ice stores water on land, water expands under heating etc.). Locally, the isostatic component can be way larger.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Locally, the isostatic component can be way larger.
          Yes, but that's why "BUILD THE (SEA) WALL" slogan is much more, shall we say, accessible to the local voters.

And people are wondering how possibly can Biden lose this election - that's how!

Comment

Working...
          X