• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What dis everyone drive in the good all days??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still turn up on site in my 11 year old Scirocco.

Comment

Originally posted by velcro View Post
      58 plate C class estate which I've had for eight years now. 200k on the clock and still going strong.
      I keep thinking it can't really last much longer so have been looking at new cars for the last few years, but cannot find anything I like that'd do the job any better. I'm going to see if I can squeeze 300k out of it, and if not, I'll get a slightly newer one the same, please.
      Um, that is a different threat.

This is the thread of magnificent excess.

Comment

I remember a fellow contractor turning up one day in an Aston Martin DB9, deliberately showing off to the permies in the car park and bragging to them how much money he was earning. He didn't get a contract extension.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

Ha, yes

Comment

Except for some of us, these days are better than the good old days.

Comment

This is the thread of p1ssing contest and dick waggling
              FTFY
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Years back, I had to sack one of my best suppliers when the MD saw him arrive in a rather nice Maserati Bora. It was his reward for being salesman of the year, belonged to his MD, and he only had it for three days. My MD thought that if they could afford expensive cars for their reps, they were overcharging us (while in fact they were saving us around £40k a year). That partly explains my love of Q-cars: a dark blue Volvo estate doesn't impress anyone in the car park - until they were in it and I took them 0-60 in 4.5 seconds...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Never had a car worth bragging about. I just fly as close to the front of the plane as I can at all times Not being a pilot, row 1 is my home...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Years back, I had to sack one of my best suppliers when the MD saw him arrive in a rather nice Maserati Bora. It was his reward for being salesman of the year, belonged to his MD, and he only had it for three days. My MD thought that if they could afford expensive cars for their reps, they were overcharging us (while in fact they were saving us around £40k a year). That partly explains my love of Q-cars: a dark blue Volvo estate doesn't impress anyone in the car park - until they were in it and I took them 0-60 in 4.5 seconds...

I had a supplier turn up to a meeting in a bright blue Porsche GT3. Straight away I asked for a 5% discount from him, and I got it. I told him the next time he turns up in a Porsche I'll expect a further 5%. After that he always came in a Transit.

Comment

I worked at one place where they ribbed mercilessly a very well paid contractor because he drove a car that looked straight from the scrapyard and was worth about £200. By far the worst car in the carpark, even the cleaner would not have been seen dead in it.

Called him "tightwad"

I guess you cannot win unless you conform to the permie middle ground of car ownership.
                      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                      X