• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage holidays extended for up to six months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that's what you want to think, then you go with it fella
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

You think negative rep upsets anyone? It's what children do.
      Hilarious - Scooty the idiot gives out more negative rep

What a silly little boy.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Follow the money - why is that so difficult to understand?

Last try.

1) Mortgage holiday - why? - I've lost my job my income is gone.

2) Furlough! 80% of my income restored! So much win. What will I do with it? <20% is going into the economy.

3) The majority of people on Furlough are using it to pay down debt, including mortgages. Doesn't matter if it is a holiday or not (4).

4) 6 month furlough + 6 months mortgage holiday = 12 months without rent, thank you taxpayer!

It is utterly outrageous those who over extended themselves are rewarded whilst savers, those that were prudent are being run into the ground.

But we've got ample amount of folks here ready to defend the government's actions, so happy days.
        I'll play:

1. Because the hope (still) is that this economic shock will be temporary, and you'll get your job back - or a different one - when this is all over. Mortgage holidays don't cost the tax payer anything, and keep people in their homes at the relatively small cost of some deferred interest payments - perhaps another year of paying the mortgage. Most people would much prefer this option to getting kicked out of the family home with a knackered credit rating. From the government/taxpayer perspective, it is far cheaper to keep people in homes that they are paying for than to start paying 80% of a family's rent on universal credit after they have been made homeless.

2. Spend it on the same things you spent your salary on. It keeps you and your family afloat, and also the parts of the economy on which you used to spend your money.

3. I doubt this is true. Source?

4. We've been over this numerous times. Yes, furlough money is coming from the taxpayer, but the alternative (universal credit including susbtantial housing benefit) might well cost more, and do more damage to the economy in the longer term. Mortgage holidays are not coming from the tax payer in any way, even via the convoluted theory that you have posited endlessly on this thread.

Having had a secure job in a sector that has been devastated by Covid does not necessarily equate to one having lived beyond ones means in normal times, although it doesn't preclude that either.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
          I'll play:

1. Because the hope (still) is that this economic shock will be temporary, and you'll get your job back - or a different one - when this is all over. Mortgage holidays don't cost the tax payer anything, and keep people in their homes at the relatively small cost of some deferred interest payments - perhaps another year of paying the mortgage. Most people would much prefer this option to getting kicked out of the family home with a knackered credit rating. From the government/taxpayer perspective, it is far cheaper to keep people in homes that they are paying for than to start paying 80% of a family's rent on universal credit after they have been made homeless.

2. Spend it on the same things you spent your salary on. It keeps you and your family afloat, and also the parts of the economy on which you used to spend your money.

4. We've been over this numerous times. Yes, furlough money is coming from the taxpayer, but the alternative (universal credit including susbtantial housing benefit) might well cost more, and do more damage to the economy in the longer term. Mortgage holidays are not coming from the tax payer in any way, even via the convoluted theory that you have posited endlessly on this thread.

Having had a secure job in a sector that has been devastated by Covid does not necessarily equate to one having lived beyond ones means in normal times, although it doesn't preclude that either.
          He's too dumb to get it, he has a conclusion and must emotionally prop it up, post after post.

Due to Art. 240 §3 EGBGB he should really be posting these concerns on a German forum.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
            I'll play:

I get it. The majority of what your saying comes across on a morality basis. That is seemingly the right think to do. No one wants to see families chucked out of homes, destitution etc.

The end effect is not the intended one, however. The more you borrow from the future the worse the recovery will be. Time & history have told us this over and over again.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Hilarious - Scooty the idiot gives out more negative rep

What a silly little boy.

Nothing in this post warrants it this time. At least you're learning.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Makes zero difference to me mate. Feel free to -ve rep me every single post if it makes you feel like a real man.

You're a prize dick. Unlike others I don't think you add zero value to CUK .... Everyone on here laughs at you so that for me is a positive.

Comment

Which very clearly, going by the multitude of trash-threads you start, you're not.

Comment

The difference between you and me is I'm happy to live in a society where we look out for the vulnerable. You however seem to only think about yourself and how this impacts you.
                    We absolutely should look out for the vulnerable. Especially the next generation who will have to pay off all this borrowing. Look at all the complaints about those who borrowed the money having to pay it back.
                    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                      We absolutely should look out for the vulnerable. Especially the next generation who will have to pay off all this borrowing. Look at all the complaints about those who borrowed the money having to pay it back.
                      Those being looked out for now are themselves responsible for bringing up the next generation. So, by helping people today, we are also helping the adults of tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X