• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage holidays extended for up to six months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    He's a snowflake - don't expect any answers from him. They only know how to complain, not how to work out the reality of a situation or to answer the difficult questions. In a work environment you will see them as people who bring up all the problems but none of the solutions.
    Ar bless, typical thicko reply. Do you need help with the big words?
    Last edited by BlueSharp; 3 November 2020, 13:38.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
      Defaulting on a mortgage or even bankruptcy/IVA would not make you homeless either that is a lengthy process that the courts would take mitigating factors into account such as children.
      Totally. There's plenty cheaper areas of the country people can move to. Already in America people are doing the same thing as office working requirements is relaxed.

It makes no sense propping up the system we knew hoping it'll return. Money down the drain.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

"I can't pay my mortgage"
        "Sell your house, in 6 months you'll be free of the mortgage"

Great logic there. Of course, moving to a cheaper home when you are unemployed is impossible as you won't get a new mortgage. Your best bet is to stay in your home if at all possible. Banks do NOT like defaulting either, they would rather avoid it.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I already alluded to the answer but raise taxes and make it clear that it's not a free hand out the from the next generation but it will be paid back by ours. Inheritance tax/capital gains tax hike would be a start.
          So you agree with the mechanism being used right now, just not how it's financed?

Change the financial system so QE is the norm not borrowing from future generations for these bailout scenario. Even better regulation of industry so no one is to big to fail.
          QE has been a useful tool, are you suggesting the UK end its use in isolation?

Fund a proper welfare state through tax increases.

Defaulting on a mortgage or even bankruptcy/IVA would not make you homeless either that is a lengthy process that the courts would take mitigating factors into account such as children.
          Who finances the hundreds of thousands of prolonged court cases? The money spent on this won't leave much for tax or starving kids.

What's the "correct" tax rate? If there's a decent Brexit deal with some free movement, do you think those who are privileged enough will stick around or shop around for a new domicile? What slice of the population do you think will have to stick around and suffer, I say those on low income, probably the exact people you think these measures will help.

Also there is a mortgage/debt holiday during this time to stop that happening to stop the IVA/Bankruptcies occurring. When that stops I hope things are ok but I suspect that bailouts will still be needed. How those bailouts are funded is a big concern.
          So you'd advise no debt holidays. Who do you think this will effect, people like me with multiple income streams including BTL, or just the average family trying to survive and pay their mortgage? This is a serious question, I'm curious in terms of numbers who you think these solutions are helping.
          Last edited by TheGreenBastard; 3 November 2020, 13:45.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Totally. There's plenty cheaper areas of the country people can move to. Already in America people are doing the same thing as office working requirements is relaxed.

It makes no sense propping up the system we knew hoping it'll return. Money down the drain.
            Your stupidity is immeasurable.

They're moving from SF because they have hefty FANG remote roles allowing them the privilege to invade quaint areas and destroy it with their soy lattes.

As someone else has said, if you're on furlough you cannot get a mortgage, you cannot downgrade, you're essentially in financial purgatory.

Maybe you should start petitioning your local German constituency to stop all furlough payments and mortgage holidays, money down the drain after all.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
              So you agree with the mechanism being used right now, just not how it's financed?

QE has been a useful tool, are you suggesting the UK end its use in isolation? The opposite, why borrow when you can create?.

Who finances the hundreds of thousands of prolonged court cases? The money spent on this won't leave much for tax or starving kids. Try reading the whole comment before posting, I have no issues with debt holiday. I have a problem with borrowing to fund zombie companies and keeping house asset prices artificially high.

What's the "correct" tax rate? If there's a decent Brexit deal with some free movement, do you think those who are privileged enough will stick around or shop around for a new domicile? What slice of the population do you think will have to stick around and suffer, I say those on low income, probably the exact people you think these measures will help.
              The correct rate is where tax take is greater than spend.

So you'd advise no debt holidays. Who do you think this will effect, people like me with multiple income streams including BTL, or just the average family trying to survive and pay their mortgage? This is a serious question. See above

The real problem with QE is it does not increase demand or economic activity only the supply of money. How do you grow an economy in a post covid world? Keep paying furlough/universal income funded by QE? Personally I would like to see universal income in a post covid world.
              Last edited by BlueSharp; 3 November 2020, 14:06.
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                And you're levered up to the eye-balls before a major deflation event. Quality stuff.

Remember how you said the FTSE 100 would never reach 4500 in a million years?

Yet again you prove your ignorance. I literally in this very thread told you I wasn't leveraged anywhere near to uncomfortable levels. In fact, one of the options in my near-term business plan is to pay off all mortgages, but that would be illogical at a time when I would rather raise funds to invest, as opportunities present over the next couple of years.

And I didn't say "the FTSE 100 would never reach 4500 in a million years". Your puny brain must be fried from all the fake news that leaks out of your backend systems. 4,500 still won't happen though. I guess you must be investing in plenty of new underwear, judging by today's market moves.

I advised you before - stop praying for the worst, because the worst will hit you harder than you think. It's like war: no one will come out of this unscathed.

Comment

The real problem with QE is it does not increase demand or economic activity only the supply of money. How do you grow an economy in a post covid world? Keep paying furlough/universal income funded by QE? Personally I would like to see universal income in a post covid world.
                  The real problem with QE is that HMG has no control over it. Free money is given to the banks who can invest it anywhere which is usually China.

The HMG no longer needs a productive UK, they just need consumers reliant on borrowing and being permanently indebted.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    what you have on your BTLs!
                    He thinks that's a sandwich...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Spoken like a true boomer. I'm sure the next generation would prefer cheaper housing, a stock market that has decent price to earning ratio and not a massive amount of tax being spent on servicing public debt to keep those two items artificially high.
                      Boomer?

Not even close fella. My parents are though, if that helps your argument
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X