• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poppy Muggers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poppy Muggers

Shopping at Tesco last night I was accosted by two young ladies attempting to sign me up for a monthly DD to the Royal British Legion Charity (The Poppy People). It seems that they are no longer interested in cash donations for a poppy and they want regular donations. Co-incidentally, this video popped up this morning " Royal British Legion, £163,000,000 annual t/o £70,000,000 in cash reserves plus other assets.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

What do they do with the poppy money?

Can't be that many WWI or WWII veterans still alive so the purpose of it seems a bit beyond the original remit, do they support modern ex-military in need or are they just another super-charity that feels more like it's supporting those that work for it than those it's intended to support, a bit like the WWF.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Shopping at Tesco last night I was accosted by two young ladies attempting to sign me up for a monthly DD to the Royal British Legion Charity (The Poppy People). It seems that they are no longer interested in cash donations for a poppy and they want regular donations. Co-incidentally, this video popped up this morning " Royal British Legion, £163,000,000 annual t/o £70,000,000 in cash reserves plus other assets.

Give if you want to. Don't if you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        What do they do with the poppy money?

Can't be that many WWI or WWII veterans still alive so the purpose of it seems a bit beyond the original remit, do they support modern ex-military in need or are they just another super-charity that feels more like it's supporting those that work for it than those it's intended to support, a bit like the WWF.
        They support ALL ex military who need it.
        hth

Comment

If Jim Davidson says you shouldn't wear one, that's probably a good indication that you should.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            They support ALL ex military who need it.
            hth
            But they don't. Why are there homeless ex-military?
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Maybe they don't think they need it, that does seem to be a big part of the problem.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Maybe they don't think they need it, that does seem to be a big part of the problem.
                Or want it. You can't force people to accept help.

I can't speak for the poppy people but some help is also conditional - we'll give you a roof over your head if you quit the booze and the drugs. Seems like a no brainer but to an addict that's not an easy thing to comply with.

Comment

Support is a process. Homelessness is an outcome. Many homeless people are supported.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Or want it. You can't force people to accept help.

I can't speak for the poppy people but some help is also conditional - we'll give you a roof over your head if you quit the booze and the drugs. Seems like a no brainer but to an addict that's not an easy thing to comply with.
                    Indeed. people who want to be outside society need to be convinced to rejoin.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X