• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BoE money printers are on fire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post
    I'm dead serious, can someone explain why all this printing or borrowing isn't causing inflation to go up, interest rates to go up and generally causing all sort of, well you know, bad stuff which is supposed to happen when you just make money out of thin air?

On the other hand, if all this magic making actually isn't so bad, why the hell has no one done it before to solve issues like poverty, homelessness, pumping money into pretty much every area that needs money etc.?
    Because the money did not exist in the first place. Can I answer this in bullet points?... I'll try.

1) For years and years banks gave out loans.

2) Those loans were for mortgages, cars etc. You need a loan? No problem says the bank. The money is in your account.

3) That money is just a number of a screen. The bank created money (whilst the central bank did not).

4) Wait, what did you just say? The bank said this number on the screen is now yours to buy the house/car but no actual money existed to back it up. No value was created / added - hence no inflation.

5) Retail banks are creators of the money supply. That was the duty of central banks. Now central have no place in the world and are dying.

5) But we're creating money now, so why no inflation? Because central banks are now trying to print enough money that was created out of thin air by retail banks. The 'actual supply of money' is less than the 'digital supply'. In fact the derivatives market is worth many multiples of the FED balance sheet. North of $200 trillion!

To answer your question. Why no inflation? Why is gold not rocketing up? Gold has actually increased 10x over the last 20 years and *real money* about 7x, yes even after all the printing to date.

Inflation is not coming... deflation is. And it'll be huge. There's reports from around the world of warehouses full to bursting with goods, India with far too much sugar production, oil no one is using, we have a massive oversupply problem at the moment. Now those suppliers will lower prices to get a sale. And people will think, oh it is cheaper this month, I'll wait until next month for it to be cheaper still thereby making a bad problem worse.

This will continue until deflation hits a peak and that oversupply is used it up. The inflation can start again. Buy gold at that point, but not before.

Professor Richard Werner provides an excellent description of the current flaws in the UK banking system:

Last edited by scooterscot; 6 November 2020, 10:21.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
      I'm dead serious, can someone explain why all this printing or borrowing isn't causing inflation to go up, interest rates to go up and generally causing all sort of, well you know, bad stuff which is supposed to happen when you just make money out of thin air?

On the other hand, if all this magic making actually isn't so bad, why the hell has no one done it before to solve issues like poverty, homelessness, pumping money into pretty much every area that needs money etc.?
      money printing is going on since 2008
      but it seems inflation is limited to stocks, gold, property value only as they have skyrocketed since then.
      there is no inflation in consumer goods or commodities as yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
        money printing is going on since 2008
        but it seems inflation is limited to stocks, gold, property value only as they have skyrocketed since then.
        there is no inflation in consumer goods or commodities as yet.
        Yep. People who say "where's the inflation then?" I say, go buy a nice 5 bed detached family home in the SE with your current pay and tell me there's been no inflation.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          Yep. People who say "where's the inflation then?" I say, go buy a nice 5 bed detached family home in the SE with your current pay and tell me there's been no inflation.

that is more due to lack of supply we are 2M + dwellings short after population growth. In Yorkshire you can get a 3 bed for £50K.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            that is more due to lack of supply we are 2M + dwellings short after population growth. In Yorkshire you can get a 3 bed for £50K.
            In a nice area? Damn, why am I still living here down south!
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

A nice area? in Yorkshire?

Comment

Working...
              X