• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOM: Furlough Extended to March

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    Not true. Anyone on payroll from 30 Oct
    Is eligible even if not furloughed before

How this will be paid foris a different question I shudder to think a out

But surely you have to demonstrate that your loss of work was purely attributable to coronavirus? That, I believe, was the case when the scheme originally started.

I only ask as my current contract in NL is coming to an end in December and I envisage a bit of idle time coming up for which I'd like some recompense if there's any going.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinch Le Chew III View Post
      But surely you have to demonstrate that your loss of work was purely attributable to coronavirus? That, I believe, was the case when the scheme originally started.

I only ask as my current contract in NL is coming to an end in December and I envisage a bit of idle time coming up for which I'd like some recompense if there's any going.
      Not even sure it is it possible to demonstrate loss due to CVir. Except for maybe closed pubs. Everything else is hard to prove either way.
      E.g. oil and gas - BP will lay off 10000 staff and who knows how may contractors. Why? Oil price. Is it low due to CoV? Most likely - nobody buys oil when locked down.
      So it is more complicated than just 'demonstrate....'

Comment

Originally posted by Jinch Le Chew III View Post

I do not see this precondition stated anywhere in the guidance - Anyway proving coronavirus had an impact is very wishy washy

In my case coronavirus had an effect in my ability to build up my business and raise financing in my Ltd that I had previously thought about and therefore Corona has impacted me....

Again I do not see anything in the guidance whisch states that this has to be attributed to corona

Comment

I do not see this precondition stated anywhere in the guidance - Anyway proving coronavirus had an impact is very wishy washy

In my case coronavirus had an effect in my ability to build up my business and raise financing in my Ltd that I had previously thought about and therefore Corona has impacted me....

Again I do not see anything in the guidance whisch states that this has to be attributed to corona

latest sole trader guidance is you have to prove its due (in part) to Covid19.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            latest sole trader guidance is you have to prove its due (in part) to Covid19.
            So unless you work in events, travel, hospitality, wedding industry etc then it's hard to prove as with the others you can simply point to government guidance.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

False.

You've still got your permanent job, your full-time salary. Your LTD may be making money in a different way, but it has not affected your permanent job.

Maybe furlough your parents, but still take the money out of their account.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                So unless you work in events, travel, hospitality, wedding industry etc then it's hard to prove as with the others you can simply point to government guidance.

Stage 1 they limited child care to key workers only most child minders lost customers over that.

Stage 2 plenty people on furlough or let go, again lost customers or shorter hours.

Stage 3 redundancies well under way + furlough lots of losses. Schools randomly closed so childcare issues for most office based employees.

Most non food shops were closed that will have an impact on their suppliers etc.

As I said you don't have to prove how much, just that you have been affected. The rules are crud.

If they said your average turnover was £20k you can borrow up to that, if you earn say more than £22k this year we want some money back in your tax return from the loan if not its a grant.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by win10 View Post
                  Not even sure it is it possible to demonstrate loss due to CVir. Except for maybe closed pubs. Everything else is hard to prove either way.
                  E.g. oil and gas - BP will lay off 10000 staff and who knows how may contractors. Why? Oil price. Is it low due to CoV? Most likely - nobody buys oil when locked down.
                  So it is more complicated than just 'demonstrate....'
                  ...and you were not permitted to do any work through your company either. That, apparently, included actively looking for new roles and attending interviews accourdong to my accountant.

How on earth they'd ever be able to prove that.

I get the impression they want us all on the funny money now to get us ready for the Universal Benefit.

Comment

FOG

Comment

If someone can point o anything concrete which states you have to have been affected by corona to be furloughed please do share that.

In fact losing £1 because your stationery costs have gone up could be attributed to corona.

The fact remains that directors can furlough themselves and employees as they wish provided the employees were on the payroll from 30 Oct. I provided the hmrc guidance above and there is no criteria that you need to demonstrate you are affected.

Comment

Working...
                      X