• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most Accomplished Liar....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Accomplished Liar....

I think he forgot about a certain US fart.....

Boris Johnson branded ‘most accomplished liar in public life’ by former cabinet colleague | The Independent

Former cabinet minister Rory Stewart has launched a blistering attack on Boris Johnson, branding the prime minister an “amoral character” and “the most accomplished liar in public life”.

Mr Stewart, who lost the Tory leadership contest last year to Mr Johnson and was later expelled by him from the Conservative parliamentary party, said the prime minister showed a “startling” lack of the virtues traditionally valued in politicians.

And he listed a string of occasions when he served under Mr Johnson in the Foreign Office when the then foreign secretary failed to follow through on projects that he had professed to support.

Mr Stewart made the comments in a review for the Times Literary Supplement of Tom Bower’s biography of Mr Johnson, The Gambler.

Rejecting Mr Bower’s generous account of Mr Johnson’s character, Mr Stewart said that the prime minister had reached the pinnacle of political life by flaunting, rather than hiding, his “lack of moral conviction”, acting as a “carnival lord of misrule” in order to capitalise on the public’s distrust of elites.

“Johnson is … the most accomplished liar in public life – perhaps the best liar ever to serve as prime minister,” he said.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I think he forgot about a certain US fart.....

Boris Johnson branded ‘most accomplished liar in public life’ by former cabinet colleague | The Independent

Former cabinet minister Rory Stewart has launched a blistering attack on Boris Johnson, branding the prime minister an “amoral character” and “the most accomplished liar in public life”.

Mr Stewart, who lost the Tory leadership contest last year to Mr Johnson and was later expelled by him from the Conservative parliamentary party, said the prime minister showed a “startling” lack of the virtues traditionally valued in politicians.

And he listed a string of occasions when he served under Mr Johnson in the Foreign Office when the then foreign secretary failed to follow through on projects that he had professed to support.

Mr Stewart made the comments in a review for the Times Literary Supplement of Tom Bower’s biography of Mr Johnson, The Gambler.

Rejecting Mr Bower’s generous account of Mr Johnson’s character, Mr Stewart said that the prime minister had reached the pinnacle of political life by flaunting, rather than hiding, his “lack of moral conviction”, acting as a “carnival lord of misrule” in order to capitalise on the public’s distrust of elites.

“Johnson is … the most accomplished liar in public life – perhaps the best liar ever to serve as prime minister,” he said.
    Meanwhile, the BoJo, Brexit, Tory supports...

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I hadn't really heard much of Rory Stewart before the 2019 Tory leadership election. From what I remember of the TV debates, he was the one candidate I thought came across as the least dishonest... maybe that's why he was unsuccessful in his bid to be leader!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

So he's not bitter then. I thought he would be off to join the LibDooms, but it turns out he's too whiny even for them...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

yes okay but the fact that boris johnson is prime minister says more about the british electorate than the man itself.

also says a lot about the competition (read corbyn).

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            So he's not bitter then. I thought he would be off to join the LibDooms, but it turns out he's too whiny even for them...

A predictable retort. Is Stewart wrong? Judge Boris by his actions - even in the last few months he demonstrates to a younger generation that lies, deceit, a private education, will get you to the top whilst leaving you morally bankrupt.

Call me old fashioned but I preferred the country when it was led by innovators and engineers looking improve our quality of life rather than those who seek to exploit us for personal gain. But the public of the day would seem to prefer the latter.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              A predictable retort. Is Stewart wrong? Judge Boris by his actions - even in the last few months he demonstrates to a younger generation that lies, deceit, a private education, will get you to the top whilst leaving you morally bankrupt.
              You may well be right, but it's a bit childish of Stewart to resort to name-calling because the nasty man sacked him.

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Call me old fashioned but I preferred the country when it was led by innovators and engineers looking improve our quality of life rather than those who seek to exploit us for personal gain. But the public of the day would seem to prefer the latter.
              Old fashioned is right. When was Britain ever run by innovators and engineers?
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I don't think he's an accomplished liar - anyone with any level sense can see his lies. The issue is that a significant percentage of the population did not/do not care.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  I don't think he's an accomplished liar - anyone with any level sense can see his lies. The issue is that a significant percentage of the population did not/do not care.
                  But it never ceases to amaze me how thick half the population is. When travelling around Europe, I have spoken to poor peasant farmers who are more alert and wiser than most so-called educated Brits.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    But it never ceases to amaze me how thick half the population is. When travelling around Europe, I have spoken to poor peasant farmers who are more alert and wiser than most so-called educated Brits.
                    I see a difference between thick and ignorant.

Believing £350M per week is going to the NHS because you read it on the side of a bus - ignorant
                    Looking further into the details behind the claim, and then still believing it - thick

Comment

Working...
                    X