• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bugger I must be getting old!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bugger I must be getting old!

Had a hearing test Saturday. Failed.... Minor/Medium hearing loss.

Must be getting old. Not cheap these hearing aids mind are they?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Sorry...can't hear you....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You don't realise how bad your hearing is until you get hearing aids. And no, they aren't cheap but they are very clever.

Phonak are good: mine are Bluetooth enabled so they act as ear buds for the phone, including phone calls and have noise cancellation. But that apart they are very good at sorting out what to filter - in my case I can hear perfectly well but not at higher frequencies, for example, so they are prgrammed to fill in the gaps.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Phonak are good: mine are Bluetooth enabled so they act as ear buds for the phone, including phone calls and have noise cancellation. But that apart they are very good at sorting out what to filter - in my case I can hear perfectly well but not at higher frequencies, for example, so they are prgrammed to fill in the gaps.
        I hope you realise that if you're not in a 5G area, those are an alternative way for the way our lizards overlords to give you Covid.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          I hope you realise that if you're not in a 5G area, those are an alternative way for the way our lizards overlords to give you Covid.
          I quite like being ruled by lizards. It makes for a much quieter life.

And anyway, I live very close to Glastonbury. There is no escape anyway. (Seriously. You should read some of the stuff on the locals' Facebook pages!)
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Are our Lizard Overlords in any need of a supply of Cobalt Thorium G?

Just askin' like.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Sorry...can't hear you....
              No thanks. I just had a cup.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I got mine just over a couple of years ago, having been found to have some high-frequency hearing loss that was described as "typical for a man of your age"

It takes a little while to get used to them, but it's well worth it. And I expect my upstairs and downstairs neighbours appreciate the fact that, as far as I can tell, I now have the telly at a volume low enough that someone with normal hearing might find it a bit too quiet, while I find it absolutely fine

They are a bit pricey though. I got mine from Specsavers, and it included a two year supply of batteries which, as I don't use the aids much when I'm at home during the day, looks like it'll last me three years or more (they give you vouchers to collect boxes of new ones from their shops as and when you need them, and I've been back for a couple of boxes just once so far).

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  I got mine just over a couple of years ago, having been found to have some high-frequency hearing loss that was described as "typical for a man of your age"

It takes a little while to get used to them, but it's well worth it. And I expect my upstairs and downstairs neighbours appreciate the fact that, as far as I can tell, I now have the telly at a volume low enough that someone with normal hearing might find it a bit too quiet, while I find it absolutely fine

They are a bit pricey though. I got mine from Specsavers, and it included a two year supply of batteries which, as I don't use the aids much when I'm at home during the day, looks like it'll last me three years or more (they give you vouchers to collect boxes of new ones from their shops as and when you need them, and I've been back for a couple of boxes just once so far).
                  Yeh specsavers I went for the hearing test.

They gave me the leaflet with prices for standard, elite, premium etc etc. All confusing.....

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    You don't realise how bad your hearing is until you get hearing aids. And no, they aren't cheap but they are very clever.

Well to be honest, the mrs used to moan I had the TV too loud so thought better had....
                    No chance I'm getting the NHS ones so its a case of what to pick now.

My old man whos in his 80s has got the NHS ones and they are crap. He can't hear a thing, can't use the phone at all, its awful. Of course, hes of the generation, NHS free paid taxes all my life, not paying for some. Its a recurring theme with a lot of parents I guess when hes sitting on a massive savings pot hes never going to spend and he won;t spend £1500 on hearing aids to help himself.

Comment

Working...
                    X