• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you pay your BTL agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only ever used tenant find services from agents, I've self managed from there and saved myself the fees. Sometimes it can be frustrating but, for the sake of 5-10 hours of effort per property per year, I think the extra cash in the bank is worth the effort.

Comment

I pay my Rental Agents 7.5% for a fully managed service (Surrey for the last 7 years). There isn't a lot to manage, since if something goes titsup, I get to use "my people" as opposed to the weighted charges that their tradesmen charge.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

My BLT agent normally asks £2.50 for a baguette

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I own 2 BTLs managed by different agencies in different parts of the country. Both provide 'full service' management i.e. they find and vet tenants, handle small repairs, etc - I do virtually nothing.

Both have headline fees of 10% (+VAT) which seems quite standard. Both charge some fixed fee for new tenancy agreements. Maybe about £200, not certain.
          On property A, that's it.
          On property B, they also charge me monthly for:
          "Gross rental information to HMRC" @ £15+VAT pcm
          "Landlord regulation checks" @ £10+VAT pcm

Tot it all up and I'm probably getting about 80% of the rent if you reckon on a new tenant about once a year. Seems a lot of fees.

What do you pay your agents and what individual service fees are they charging? Why is my agent charging me to send information to HMRC for instance?
          The current FTC is coming to an end and I'm wondering about trying to push back, but no idea how much leverage I've got.
          Does your agent include murder victim corpse removal in those costs?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Does your agent include murder victim corpse removal in those costs?
            It wasn't in my flat, but I think they include a professional Not Mentioning The Disembodied Corpse Downstairs service in the fees.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It wasn't in my flat, but I think they include a professional Not Mentioning The Disembodied Corpse Downstairs service in the fees.
              Sweet.

Comment

Finding tennants is easy via openrent directly. I never use them as agents simply just act as interesting busybodies

Agents are useful when you come to sell as they can really squeeze the lemon and make sure all offers are submitted and persuade the buyer they are getting good value

Other then that best avoided. The worst of them by far is Foxtons. Tenancy fees for landlords and tenants and markup on tradesmen calling out

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  I pay my Rental Agents 7.5% for a fully managed service (Surrey for the last 7 years). There isn't a lot to manage, since if something goes titsup, I get to use "my people" as opposed to the weighted charges that their tradesmen charge.
                  Then why are you paying them 7.5% if you do maintenance yourself , only to find tenants ?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    Then why are you paying them 7.5% if you do maintenance yourself , only to find tenants ?
                    WHS. You are paying a lot of money for a phone answering service. Finding good tenants is the hardest bit, painful at the time to DIY but the best investment of your own time.

Comment

You guys don't use agents' guaranteed rent for tenant rent delinquency, preferring to cover yourselves via insurance?

Comment

Working...
                      X