• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

told you it was coming.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Why would you think I want to do that (apart for the obvious reason )? Compensation is not criminalisation.

But why is it that you see slavery as excused within its historic context, because it was legal and everyone was doing it, but you don't take the same view with war crimes?

No I said if you want to prosecute individuals then do so but they are all a bit dead.

If you want to pay reparations then we need to come to an agreed figure and calculate the reparations for all slaves regardless of nationality.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      I'm starting to come around to the idea of reparations. Mostly because it's weird how Canada/USA/Australia pays reparations to Aboriginal people in many forms but there has been nothing for descendants of african slaves. The idea of reparations for all black people (regardless of whether they were a descendant of a slave) is absolutely ridiculous though and the sums suggested are pure fantasy. I would support and be okay for paying higher taxes if that money went to pay for university or something else that actually helped the black community better themselves and start earning more money, committing less crime and become more successful.

As far as cancelling debt to african nations, sure why not for the ones that hold proper democratic elections and are not in active conflicts.
      Cancelling debt to African nations makes no sense as a reparation for slavery.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        No I am not, if you want to sentence every slaver to a life sentence or capital punishment then great. Problem is most of them died centuries ago, would make for some quiet prisons.
        I know to keep it simple just tax every descendant of West Indian slave owners.
        Last edited by Gibbon; 12 November 2020, 15:28. Reason: omission
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

No I said if you want to prosecute individuals then do so but they are all a bit dead.

If you want to pay reparations then we need to come to an agreed figure and calculate the reparations for all slaves regardless of nationality.
          I never suggested I wanted to prosecute individuals or that I wanted to see reparations paid. I said it would be fun to work out how much reparations would be and who would pay and who to. As I said, it's fantasy politics to think they'll be paid. The Culture Wars run the risk of quietening once Trump has been evicted, so it's important to keep stoking the gammonflakes' blood pressure.

Comment

No it isn't, because Italy isn't a successor state to the Roman Empire.

is the UK a successor state to the Elizabethan Empire?

Is America a successor state to the Spanish or British colonisation? Does that remove our liability? What about Brail, Portugal etc they were big into slaves.

What about the Vikings & French? Do they get a reset?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              I know to keep it simple just tax every descendant of slave owners and traders.

FTFY, then stand back and listen to the squeals.

I'm safe as far as I know, my family never owned slaves.

Comment

Cancelling debt to African nations makes no sense as a reparation for slavery.
                Agree completely, 2 separate issues but still support it.

Comment

is the UK a successor state to the Elizabethan Empire?

Is America a successor state to the Spanish or British colonisation? Does that remove our liability? What about Brail, Portugal etc they were big into slaves.

What about the Vikings & French? Do they get a reset?
                  UK is a continuation of the English Empire. Same for France. Same for Portugal and Brazil. Not sure about Vikings. Probably not for the USA, unless this was agreed in the Treaty of Paris (1783) and the various other treaties by which USA expanded.

Comment

I never suggested I wanted to prosecute individuals or that I wanted to see reparations paid. I said it would be fun to work out how much reparations would be and who would pay and who to. As I said, it's fantasy politics to think they'll be paid. The Culture Wars run the risk of quietening once Trump has been evicted, so it's important to keep stoking the gammonflakes' blood pressure.

Well you suggested I might be ok with ignoring war crimes, I pointed out we normally just prosecute the guilty not their descendants.

If the calculation is done fairly then "Gammonflakes" would probably be ok as it would just be zeroed out because pretty much all our rich ancestors were guilty.

Lets move on and fix today's problems. There are plenty of them.

Comment

UK is a continuation of the English Empire. Same for France. Same for Portugal and Brazil. Not sure about Vikings. Probably not for the USA, unless this was agreed in the Treaty of Paris (1783) and the various other treaties by which USA expanded.

So any slaves used in the new world / Africa are nothing to do with the UK as we have either lost it in war or released it from our ex empire then?

Sorted

Look forward to repayments from the French, Algerian, Tunisians etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X