• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy Scrounger Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy Scrounger Contractors

Is it a tad distasteful the way some contractors are taking or asking for Covid handouts?

I've always pictured us as rugged individualists preyed upon by the lazy scrounging agents and public sector parasites. Now it seems that some among us are the first to put out their hands and beg. We're mostly pretty well off, so not many of us even need the money!

Anyone else think this, or is it just a sign of the times and we're all Communists now?

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
      Is it a tad distasteful the way some contractors are taking or asking for Covid handouts?

I've always pictured us as rugged individualists preyed upon by the lazy scrounging agents and public sector parasites. Now it seems that some among us are the first to put out their hands and beg. We're mostly pretty well off, so not many of us even need the money!

Anyone else think this, or is it just a sign of the times and we're all Communists now?
      Some of us prey on the public sector.

Comment

#preyonBR14
        #setup

Comment

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

No. I think contractors are micro businesses in their own right (for some, not all*) and so are just as worthy of handouts as anyone else.

It's a problem of the tax system being stuck together with sticky tape and bits of string that means state aid is unfairly distributed.

*As with all businesses and individuals, there are chancers who use any and all loop holes for their advantage. They can feck off and wither away in a fetid flea pit for all I care

Comment

pay more tax than employees get larger handouts than employees?

oh doesn't work that way?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

apart from the aforementioned points, that everyone is getting free money and contractors do not. inflation is rampant as well.
                I was just looking at a not very affluent neighbourhood in West London and I think 20% of the street got a new car this year.
                Vehicle prices go up, house prices go up, NVIDIA, AMD video cards or PS5 are out of stock everywhere.

A lot of times is not the actual money, but about the injustice of it. £1000 to every working person sent to their bank account would have been a better option.
                If with a mortgage holiday and £1000 per month you are still in trouble maybe your financial situation is not that sound and you shouldn't be bailed out by the system.

Comment

The help should be proportional to a contractors' tax receipts. I think we need to stop pretending contractors are "small businesses", that ship has sailed, contracting (at least in London) jumped the shark - in the past half decade anyone able to string a few words together became a contractor, they are anything but "small businesses".

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                  NVIDIA, AMD video cards or PS5 are out of stock everywhere.
                  Talk about first world problems.

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                  £1000 to every working person sent to their bank account would have been a better option
                  So only working people get help? Does this include evil landlords and millionaires?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    pay more tax than employees get larger handouts than employees?

oh doesn't work that way?
                    Pay more tax?

Are you counting the VAT that you are simply passing on?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X