• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lazy Scrounger Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    The help should be proportional to a contractors' tax receipts.

So only working people get help? Does this include evil landlords and millionaires?
    No, to each according to his needs. Help (if any) should be inversely proportional to tax receipts. Rich people don’t need handouts.

If they give £1000 to each worker this inherently gives more than £1000 pounds to the evil landlords and takes it away from the millionaires. The only reason for doing this is if by some chance the people making the rules were evil landlords.

Where is the £1000 coming from anyway? The workers’ children?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Pay more tax?

Are you counting the VAT that you are simply passing on?

It was slightly sarcastic maybe you missed it but an IR35 caught 'disguised employee' will pay more tax than the employed person next to him not counting VAT because of Employers NI.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
        No, to each according to his needs. Help (if any) should be inversely proportional to tax receipts. Rich people don’t need handouts.
        If I understand correctly, your system would reward scrounger contractors with the most aggressive tax arrangements (they would have the smallest tax receipts). So not only did they put the least in, they get the most out.

Comment

Until my last gig ended a few weeks ago I've been employed for about 12 months and during that time I've taken exactly 5 days off to go on holiday.

During that time many of my friends have been furloughed, enjoying 80% of their wages for many months.

Furloughing with the part time rules has given companies a flexible workforce at a discounted rate, which is direct competition for contractors. This is instead of companies scaling back staff and switching to a contractor model to minimise their own risk while work is uncertain.

So I've been shafted by the economy, shafted by furlough, and shafted by IR35 tax rules. And the only compensation my business can get is about £500/month.

Paying a lot of tax while the government rains your tax money on people that can have a few months holiday leaves a certain bitter taste in one's mouth, especially when you stop working and get almost bugger all.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
            Until my last gig ended a few weeks ago I've been employed for about 12 months and during that time I've taken exactly 5 days off to go on holiday.

During that time many of my friends have been furloughed, enjoying 80% of their wages for many months.

Furloughing with the part time rules has given companies a flexible workforce at a discounted rate, which is direct competition for contractors. This is instead of companies scaling back staff and switching to a contractor model to minimise their own risk while work is uncertain.

So I've been shafted by the economy, shafted by furlough, and shafted by IR35 tax rules. And the only compensation my business can get is about £500/month.

Paying a lot of tax while the government rains your tax money on people that can have a few months holiday leaves a certain bitter taste in one's mouth, especially when you stop working and get almost bugger all.
            So you would prefer it if there was mass unemployment in every single sector of the economy and a recession?

If there was a recession it would make it even harder for you to get a new contact.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              So you would prefer it if there was mass unemployment in every single sector of the economy and a recession?

If there was a recession it would make it even harder for you to get a new contact.
              Which is more likely, that I'm unhappy to have to work to support people's furlough money while not being able to receive any, therefore we should tank the country's economy and cause a fullscale meltdown recession...

or...

do you think it might be possible I'm saying I'd like to be compensated £2500/month (or whatever, % of profit likely capped at £2500) instead of ~£500/month while the market for me is dead due to covid?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                If I understand correctly, your system would reward scrounger contractors with the most aggressive tax arrangements (they would have the smallest tax receipts). So not only did they put the least in, they get the most out.
                No, I wouldn’t reward anyone, but if I did it would be the poor. I assumed they will have paid the least taxes since they didn’t earn much (what with being poor and all).

But these aggressive tax arrangements sound interesting, tell me more (on another thread). I’m already confused. I thought you paid less tax if you had more receipts?

Comment

Which is more likely, that I'm unhappy to have to work to support people's furlough money while not being able to receive any, therefore we should tank the country's economy and cause a fullscale meltdown recession...

or...

do you think it might be possible I'm saying I'd like to be compensated £2500/month (or whatever, % of profit likely capped at £2500) instead of ~£500/month while the market for me is dead due to covid?
                  You need to join the campaign groups for the invisible/ignored.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
                    No, I wouldn’t reward anyone, but if I did it would be the poor. I assumed they will have paid the least taxes since they didn’t earn much (what with being poor and all).

But these aggressive tax arrangements sound interesting, tell me more (on another thread). I’m already confused. I thought you paid less tax if you had more receipts?
                    By tax receipts, I mean taxes in general, not expenses.

From a purely contractor perspective your system creates the perverse incentive for me (as a contractor, after all this is your thread about contractors...) to expense as much as I can (illegitimately) to reduce my tax. My expenses make it look like I'm not very profitable.

Comment

or...

As an average contractor you will have been earning 500 pd (£100K+ per year pre tax) and you're jealous of people on low wages in the service sector who might be getting 80% of £20k. If you're that upset why not get yourself a 'spoonies job when the pubs open up again and then you too can get all the 'benefits' of these 'lucky' workers?

I really don't get why people are so upset about what others are paid; you are never going to be happy being jealous of others and their take home.
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X