Contractor tax cheats Contractor tax cheats
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...

    NadJ is on the bench


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    41

    Default Contractor tax cheats

    I've just come across a right muppet and cheat who has been contracting for the last 3 years and has some how managed to get away with getting paid directly into his personal bank account. Though in theory allowed and still possible to manage your company financial lin this way, somehow I doubt he's paying the right tax.

    He's probably not the first. At the last place another guy used to insist on cheques made payable to his company which was conveniently called FIRSTNAME LASTNAME LTD and openly admitted to having the freedom to cash them wherever he likes.

    My question is simple, how do these people get away with it? Don't HMRC have systems where known big agencies have to enter data about which companies they are paying so that signals can go off when those companies declare zero income? If not, why tf not?!?

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is always on top

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    58,786

    Default

    42

  3. #3

    Fingers like lightning

    TheGreenBastard is NOT a disguised employee

    TheGreenBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NadJ View Post
    I've just come across a right muppet and cheat who has been contracting for the last 3 years and has some how managed to get away with getting paid directly into his personal bank account. Though in theory allowed and still possible to manage your company financial lin this way, somehow I doubt he's paying the right tax.

    He's probably not the first. At the last place another guy used to insist on cheques made payable to his company which was conveniently called FIRSTNAME LASTNAME LTD and openly admitted to having the freedom to cash them wherever he likes.

    My question is simple, how do these people get away with it? Don't HMRC have systems where known big agencies have to enter data about which companies they are paying so that signals can go off when those companies declare zero income? If not, why tf not?!?
    Yes, there are agency regulations regarding reporting to HMRC.

    Tax fraud is common everywhere, don't let it bother you, unless you have the balls to give HMRC a ring.

  4. #4

    Super poster

    Andy2 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Yes, there are agency regulations regarding reporting to HMRC.

    Tax fraud is common everywhere, don't let it bother you, unless you have the balls to give HMRC a ring.
    even if you give them a ring they are unlikely to do anything out of sheer incompetence

  5. #5

    Godlike

    Whorty is a fount of knowledge

    Whorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    5,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Yes, there are agency regulations regarding reporting to HMRC.

    Tax fraud is common everywhere, don't let it bother you, unless you have the balls to give HMRC a ring.
    This .....

    I guess the OP has the following options:

    1) If he's jealous that someone is getting something more than them, and they want the same, then give the tax dodge a go and see how well you sleep at night.

    2) Call HMRC and let them know what is going on

    3) Don't worry about what others are doing and know that there are checks in place and these people will get caught if they are in fact doing something dodgy

    4) Whinge on an anonymous forum
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    SueEllen is always on top

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    32,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy2 View Post
    even if you give them a ring they are unlikely to do anything out of sheer incompetence
    They won't do anything because they cut the number of VAT inspectors who use to pick up on this type of fraud.

    I was told when I started contracting in the 00s that I should expect a VAT inspection at some point by other contractors, self-employed people and even the ex-VAT inspectors I did a free HMRC course with. I've never had an inspection and they put all HMRC courses online...
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  7. #7

    Super poster

    fullyautomatix is NOT a disguised employee

    fullyautomatix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Gaul
    Posts
    4,970

    Default

    HMRC have no time for small one man contracting firms charging 300 quid a day rate. They have bigger fish to fry. Their main focus is on corporates like Amazon dodging tax as well as Dutch Antilles registered remuneration schemes which promise 100% retention.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    37,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    HMRC have no time for small one man contracting firms charging 300 quid a day rate. They have bigger fish to fry. Their main focus is on corporates like Amazon dodging tax as well as Dutch Antilles registered remuneration schemes which promise 100% retention.

    Yeah because they provide better free lunches.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  9. #9

    Contractor Among Contractors

    wattaj - scorchio!

    wattaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NadJ View Post
    I've just come across a right muppet and cheat who has been contracting for the last 3 years and has some how managed to get away with getting paid directly into his personal bank account. Though in theory allowed and still possible to manage your company financial lin this way, somehow I doubt he's paying the right tax.

    He's probably not the first. At the last place another guy used to insist on cheques made payable to his company which was conveniently called FIRSTNAME LASTNAME LTD and openly admitted to having the freedom to cash them wherever he likes.

    My question is simple, how do these people get away with it? Don't HMRC have systems where known big agencies have to enter data about which companies they are paying so that signals can go off when those companies declare zero income? If not, why tf not?!?
    So, and in summary, you have no evidence of impropriety, but are nonetheless aggrieved by something or other.

    Good post; well played.
    ---

    Former member of IPSE.


    ---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

    ---

  10. #10

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Plague Island
    Posts
    11,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NadJ View Post
    I've just come across a right muppet and cheat who has been contracting for the last 3 years and has some how managed to get away with getting paid directly into his personal bank account. Though in theory allowed and still possible to manage your company financial lin this way, somehow I doubt he's paying the right tax.

    He's probably not the first. At the last place another guy used to insist on cheques made payable to his company which was conveniently called FIRSTNAME LASTNAME LTD and openly admitted to having the freedom to cash them wherever he likes.

    My question is simple, how do these people get away with it? Don't HMRC have systems where known big agencies have to enter data about which companies they are paying so that signals can go off when those companies declare zero income? If not, why tf not?!?
    Calling your company FIRSTNAME LASTNAME LTD is quite common. Getting paid by cheques or even cash is not illegal. Furthermore, it is not unlawful to get paid into a private bank account for a limited company. The payments will be held on trust and must be declared to HMRC. The downside is that it leaves his/her private bank account open to scrutiny. There are difficulties opening bank accounts for limited companies and he chose to do in that way. He has not done anything unlawful. However, by you calling him/her a cheat opens yourself for an action damages for liable even if you don't name him. The mere fact that he could read your post and be identified is enough to sue you personally. I suggest you retract your allegations.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •