• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Met Police Targets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Data should be used to see if some obvious abuses are happening (or not) - ie stopping same person all the time without charges filed
    The data comes from the victims suing them.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Won't help anything. Look at what's going on in the states, you have incredibly diverse police forces with black police chiefs and this was all still happening under them.

Look at george floyd incident 50% of the officers involved along with the police chief would be classified as BAME in UK. It's not going to get any more diverse than that. Maybe if there was a woman present then it wouldn't have happened? Like come on, apply a little common sense.

It doesn't matter how diverse the police force, policy and training are what are important and what failed in that incident and what fails elsewhere.

As a foreigner I will say you have one of the kindest and gentlest police forces in the world in the UK here anyway. I really don't think you have anything to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        Won't help anything. Look at what's going on in the states, you have incredibly diverse police forces with black police chiefs and this was all still happening under them.

Look at george floyd incident 50% of the officers involved along with the police chief would be classified as BAME in UK. It's not going to get any more diverse than that. Maybe if there was a woman present then it wouldn't have happened? Like come on, apply a little common sense.

It doesn't matter how diverse the police force, policy and training are what are important and what failed in that incident and what fails elsewhere.

As a foreigner I will say you have one of the kindest and gentlest police forces in the world in the UK here anyway. I really don't think you have anything to fix.
        No I know kinder and gentler police forces whose members don't treat victims and witnesses as criminals.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post

Having a nice police force is partly down to them being hamstrung about what they can do. Watching videos of police controlling lockdown in other countries was quite the eye opener.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            No I know kinder and gentler police forces whose members don't treat victims and witnesses as criminals.
            What country is that? Maybe one of the nordic countries? You are 1 of only 5 or 6 countries in the world that has a largely unarmed police force.

The movements happening in usa are because their police force has been overly militarized. They have millions of ex armed forces coming back from their endless wars in the middle east and a large percentage of those go into policing. On top of that they have police departments buying surplus military equipment and regularly using it to police their own citizens. Combine that with a failed war on drugs and it's absolutely nothing like what happens in the UK.

Its crazy when british people try and attach themselves to the movement thats happening in the USA. Its just not comparable.

Comment

Do you expect competency? Remember they are a public service.
              You can even be stopped when driving for no reason. I was stopped a few years ago by a young police officer for "a routine check". After finding no fault, I asked if he had finished and if so I wanted a written record of the stop.

He started writing it out and he asked me the required questions, the final one being "How do you describe your ethnicity". He expected me to answer "white" but instead I replied "Black". I could almost hear him squirm as he ticked the box. My revenge.
              Last edited by Paddy; 13 November 2020, 12:18.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I’d expect the police to record all relevant info for every search (maybe not stop without search) - computerised easily analyse-able records too.

Is it too much to expect?

seems to be!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  You can even be stopped when driving for no reason. I was stopped a few years ago by a young police officer for "a routine check". After finding no fault, I asked if he had finished and if so I wanted a written record of the stop.

He started writing it out and he asked me the required questions, the final one being "How do you describe your ethnicity". He expected me to answer "white" but instead I replied "Black". I could almost hear him squirm as he ticked the box. My revenge.
                  Hardly helpful.

And yes its scandalous that they do not use the data properly.

Comment

Police officers claim they can't see who is driving cars. Oddly in my area they catch people crossing them at junctions or by waiting in side roads then coming out....
                    If the front windows are overly tinted that is a traffic ticket or a requirement to visit an equipped MOT centre for a test and then a nice fine.

They could probably use a piece of Paper with a greyscale and a phone to do a rough test.

If its legal the Police need their eyes tested and words of advice from a senior officer.

If they have decent procedures and management it is surprising how good even poorly paid staff can be.

Comment

Data should be used to see if some obvious abuses are happening (or not) - ie stopping same person all the time without charges filed
                      What happens if minorities commit more crime though...

Comment

Working...
                      X