• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm not your father...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not your father...

Guess which part I found amusing? So if you work for The Guardian you aren't allowed to write your own story?

Trans man loses UK legal battle to register as his child's father | Society | The Guardian

A transgender man has lost his legal battle to be registered as his child’s father or parent in the UK after the supreme court refused to consider his final appeal.

Freddy McConnell, a 34-year-old freelance journalist who works for the Guardian, gave birth in 2018 after suspending his hormone treatment. He had hoped to challenge an appeal court ruling this spring that motherhood is defined as being pregnant and giving birth regardless of whether the person who does so was considered a man or a woman in law.

The decision not to consider his case is a blow for LGBTQ+ rights campaigners. The case was seen as key by the campaign group Stonewall, which hoped that the law would recognise all parents “for who they are”.

McConnell began medical transition with testosterone therapy in 2013, and in 2014 underwent a double mastectomy. His passport and NHS records were changed to show he was male, but he retained his female reproductive system. He gave birth after suspending his hormone treatment and allowing his menstrual cycle to restart.

Both the high court, in September 2019, and the appeal court, in April 2020, ruled that even though he was considered a man by law and had a gender recognition certificate to prove it, he could not appear on his child’s birth certificate as “father” or parent. McConnell had argued this breached the Human Rights Act.

In the appeal court, Lord Burnett came down in favour of the right of a child born to a transgender parent to know the biological reality of its birth, rather than the parent’s right to be recognised on the birth certificate in their legal gender.

Burnett said that laws passed by parliament had not “decoupled the concept of mother from gender”. He said any interference with McConnell’s rights to family life, caused by birth registration documents describing him as a mother when he lives as his child’s father, could be justified.

McConnell said it was the “traditional system that does not account for modern families”.

The supreme court’s decision marks the end of the road for McConnell’s legal case in the UK but he said he would apply to the European court of human rights in Strasbourg to hear the case.

A spokeswoman for the supreme court, the highest in the UK, said on Monday that the justices had decided not to consider the case because “the applications do not raise an arguable point of law which ought to be considered at this time bearing in mind that the cases were the subject of judicial decision and reviewed on appeal”.

McConnell said the decision left a “mishmash” of rules in place around the registration of parenthood for LGBT people that “needs fully overhauling”.

“The law around birth registration doesn’t treat LGBT people equally on any level,” he said. “There needs to be a series of cases to address this or a change in the law. I feel I am too deep into this to stop now. I am going to keep fighting and I ask anyone who can contribute to this to reach out.”

Nancy Kelley, chief executive of Stonewall, said the supreme court’s decision was “deeply disappointing”.

“All parents, including LGBT parents, deserve to be recognised for who they are and it’s incredibly frustrating that the supreme court has missed an opportunity to progress equality,” she said.

“The current legislation contradicts the fragile equality trans people currently have, where they can have full recognition on some legal documents, but not on others. Just like any other parents, trans parents should be able to have their relationship to their child recognised on their child’s birth certificates.”
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Modern families?

How about exceptionally rare families.

How many families out there have where there is a transitioning female to male who stops transition has a baby then resumes transition? You gotta be talking about like 5 people.

Comment

He is the parent and he's now male. Makes him a father IMO. Laws are sometimes necessary to protect others, but otherwise, what's the problem with altering a few legal documents?

I am assuming the rights of the actual (sperm supplying) father are not affected. Article does not mention that.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 16 November 2020, 20:18.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        He is the parent and he's now male. Makes him a father IMO. Laws are sometimes necessary to protect others, but otherwise, what's the problem with altering a few legal documents?

I am assuming the rights of the actual (sperm supplying) father are not affected. Article does not mention that.
        Mother and father are not equal in law. Just wait till you have to prove right to citizenship through a chain of birth records/marriage/adoption certificates etc and the laws surrounding those things.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          “The law around birth registration doesn’t treat LGBT people equally on any level,”
          How does the law around birth registration treat LGB people any differently from ....er... straights?

Or is now that if you can't be just G, you have to be LGBT.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I was expecting a Star Wars related story...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              How does the law around birth registration treat LGB people any differently from ....er... straights?

Or is now that if you can't be just G, you have to be LGBT.
              That's what I was scratching my head over but I presume it is because you can be T and L or G. Not sure how it would effect you if you are T and B.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                That's what I was scratching my head over but I presume it is because you can be T and L or G. Not sure how it would effect you if you are T and B.

Just call yourself pan-sexual and declare you will do anything to anyone.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Can only imagine how many computer systems would be broken by the concept that a child does not necessarily need a mother

Comment

What is the purpose of the birth certificate? In my mind, it's there to specify who the BIOLOGICAL mother and father are. Whose sperm and whose egg came together?

If that's the purpose then all this hoo-hah goes away. Sure, change the terminology to egg donor and sperm donor if mother/father are too contentious.

If the purpose is to define who the legal guardians are, then that's something entirely different and that's solveable by removing mother/father and replacing it with legal guardian(s) as a term.

Historically the presence of a father on a birth certificate was less important as mothers are easy to confirm as hiding a pregnancy and subsequent birth can be a bit challenging.

Comment

Working...
                    X