• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone want an Apple product?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone want an Apple product?

M1 lorry hijack gang stole GBP5m of Apple products, say police | Crime | The Guardian

Police are searching for a gang they believe stole £5m of Apple products during a hijacking on the M1.

Officers said a lorry was targeted on a slip road in Northamptonshire. The driver and a security guard were tied up while the thieves drove their vehicle a short distance, before transferring the goods to their own truck and abandoning the pair.

Northamptonshire police said they believe the gang then moved all 48 pallets of Apple products to a third vehicle about 10 miles away, before dumping the truck and driving off.

They are appealing for witnesses to the incident, which took place between 7.45pm and 8pm on Tuesday 10 November.

“Officers would like to speak to anyone who may have seen a number of vehicles on the slip road at junction 18 between the stated times, which may have looked out of place, or who may have dashcam footage of this area,” the force said on Tuesday.

“They would also like to speak to anyone who may have been offered any Apple products for sale in unusual circumstances, or who knows of anyone who is selling such items at low-cost prices.”

The hijacking took place on the motorway between Northampton and Rugby. The thieves drove the lorry with the tied-up occupants eastwards to the village of Crick, about half a mile away, police said. After that, they made the short journey north over the border into Leicestershire and dumped the second vehicle in the town of Lutterworth.

A police spokesman said the stolen consignment included Apple Watches, a variety of iPads and charging devices.

In June, the BBC reported that iPhones stolen during looting in the US were tracked, disabled and the local authorities notified.

The broadcaster reported that devices displayed messages saying: “Please return to Apple Walnut Street. This device has been disabled and is being tracked. Local authorities will be alerted.” The store was one that had been targeted by the looters.

The firm has not responded to a request for comment and it is not clear whether or not the devices stolen in the UK are tracked, nor whether any information has been provided to the authorities.

After thieves targeted two Apple stores in Perth, Australia, last September, officers said the stolen phones had inbuilt security functions which the manufacturer would enable, rendering the phones unusable.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Inside job. Another one will get done over in a couple of week IMO.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They now need to get rid of stuff quickly. There will be a large apple turnover.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Surely they just can just go here to locate them?

iCloud - Find My - Apple (UK)

Simples

Comment

Even on the black market they will still be more expensive than a (legally purchased) high end and superior android phone

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Even on the black market they will still be more expensive than a (legally purchased) high end and superior android phone

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              Would that be the phone that I pay a very high price for, falls in value on the second hand market like a rock, but also has google tracking almost every aspect of the use to monetise my information?

Surely apple kit is a better deal as it's also medium to high priced but doesn't have this monetisation? Even if I root an android phone and try to de-google it, it's still extremely insecure in comparison as a result of using Lineage-OS or eOS.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                Would that be the phone that I pay a very high price for, falls in value on the second hand market like a rock, but also has google tracking almost every aspect of the use to monetise my information?

Surely apple kit is a better deal as it's also medium to high priced but doesn't have this monetisation? Even if I root an android phone and try to de-google it, it's still extremely insecure in comparison as a result of using Lineage-OS or eOS.
                Try de-Appling an apple?
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Try de-Appling an apple?
                  You don't have to enable or use facetime, imessage or icloud. You can then have a secure and private phone that is up there with the most secure possible whilst still maintaining features.

Look at the bug-list and CVE security list for Apple vs any iteration of Google Android. Android is a mess.

I've never been given a corporate Android phone, which also suggests they are far too easy to compromise.

My complaint in this thread is that Android flagship phones are just as expensive or more expensive than Apple phones, yet on top of that Google then monetise you further through monitoring you, using and selling your personal data, meaning the total cost to you for using it is clearly higher than just buying the phone. Apple don't do that and so should be awarded some respect for doing so.

People can't install some untested, mis-coded junk on an Apple product and have a far lower chance of being able to get malware on their phone as as result of this walled garden approach. When it comes to security and, more importantly, privacy that makes them superior. I wish it weren't so, but it is so.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                    I've never been given a corporate Android phone,
                    So you're not a contractor, but a permie

Comment

Working...
                    X