• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else live in South West? :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although it's worth pointing out there's an awful lot of the south West before you get to the Tamar... mostly empty. Moving from a city to a tourist trap seems a bit of an own goal to be honest.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

We moved here just over 5 years ago ... if I was like Scooty I could claim that I saw all this coming, sold the London flat at a peak and bought the country house that has now grown by a higher %. Of course, truth is it's all luck; we moved here due to wife's health only and not because the tea leaves told us to do it
      Ditto, and where I am on the southern part of Exmoor, we aren't even beset by tourists and their traffic!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Although it's worth pointing out there's an awful lot of the south West before you get to the Tamar... mostly empty. Moving from a city to a tourist trap seems a bit of an own goal to be honest.
        Yeah but why settle for Devon or <spit> Somerset when you can have the best?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Because Kernow isn't - too many tourists for one thing. You really shouldn't listen to your own publicity blurb - else we'd all be going to Scarborough or Blackpool...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Because Cornwall is remote even by Devon standards. For me, living a few miles north west of Tiverton, a drive to say Truro would take a good two hours!

OTOH, I can be on the M5 (J27) in 20 minutes and from there cane it up to Bristol in 50 minutes and to London in under 2 hours.

(although the last five miles, from Hammersmith to central London, will probably take another 2 hours! )
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 19 November 2020, 13:37.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Because Kernow isn't - too many tourists for one thing. You really shouldn't listen to your own publicity blurb - else we'd all be going to Scarborough or Blackpool...
              Actually I was basing it on family holidays for my childhood, living there for 10 years and returning to spend time there later in life when I wasn't taking it for granted.
              For me, it's the wilder spots that are the most beautiful, the Lizard and the winter storms, not the touristy beaches.

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Because Cornwall is remote even by Devon standards. For me, living a few miles north west of Tiverton, a drive to say Truro would take a good two hours!
              It is kind of weird that all the tourists can be bothered... we used to get up at 3am to drive down for our holidays as a family.
              These days, I refuse to drive. Fly or sleeper train or I'm not going.

Comment

Must confess that apart from the odd visit to friends out by Bodmin, we haven't been there for years. Although that's partly because a 7m long motorhome doesn't really work on Cornish lanes (or North Devonian ones, come to that...).

But yes, parts of it are simply staggeringly beautiful and comparatively free of emmets.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

For me, it's the wilder spots that are the most beautiful, the Lizard and the winter storms, not the touristy beaches.
                  You want to be careful down on the Lizard, m'dear, the Zeitys might be about.

But yes, parts of it are simply staggeringly beautiful and comparatively free of emmets.
                  Probably because said emmets thought venturing onto The Lizard was A Good Idea.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Got to watch out for adders too.

Comment

Love going to Cornwall out of season when the drive is a lot quieter. Nice not having to set an alarm to get on the beach car park that you want to.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X