• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else live in South West? :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else live in South West? :)

House prices rise as Covid sparks rural relocation - BBC News
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Only when priced in worthless FIAT currency.

That's what they say here isn't it?
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      Only when priced in worthless FIAT currency.

That's what they say here isn't it?
      We moved here just over 5 years ago ... if I was like Scooty I could claim that I saw all this coming, sold the London flat at a peak and bought the country house that has now grown by a higher %. Of course, truth is it's all luck; we moved here due to wife's health only and not because the tea leaves told us to do it

Comment

Aye stay away from the South West it's a right tuliphole.

Crappy narrow B roads that get flooded out of season or flooded with tourists in season ... crappy regional airports to the big smoke if struggle with the fibre broadband speeds to work remotely ... only one main road out of the place (A30 or A38 then M5 or A330) .. only one trainline (via Dawlish that gets washed away every year, and takes the scenic route so qucker by car) ... too many beaches and moors and nowt to do for the city dwellers scared of going outside when the gyms are closed ... milder weather but that just means more rain and wind off the atlantic, and loads of people poncing about on pieces of board as a hobby clogging up the car parks with their vdub tarted up builders vans.

So yes, best avoided. Blackpool, Margate, Yarmouth, Skeggy are 'just as good' so no need to travel all the way down to the South West.
        Last edited by Hobosapien; 18 November 2020, 15:16. Reason: 1 does not equal 5
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I won't tell my parents, they'll probably do something irresponsible like sell up and go on a round-the-world cruise. Oh, hang on...

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Crappy narrow B roads that get flooded out of season or flooded with tourists in season ... crappy regional airports to the big smoke if struggle with the fibre broadband speeds to work remotely ... only one main road out of the place (A30 or A38 then M1 or A330) .. only one trainline (via Dawlish that gets washed away every year, and takes the scenic route so qucker by car) ... too many beaches and moors and nowt to do for the city dwellers scared of going outside when the gyms are closed ... milder weather but that just means more rain and wind off the atlantic, and loads of people poncing about on pieces of board as a hobby clogging up the car parks with their vdub tarted up builders vans.

So yes, best avoided. Blackpool, Margate, Yarmouth, Skeggy are 'just as good' so no need to travel all the way down to the South West.
            When we lived in the Midlands, early in our relationship, the wife and I went to Blackpool for a childhood trip down memory lane. 20 odd years later and she still hasn't forgiven me

Comment

The M1 goes to the south west?

How novel.

And don't go to the Lizard or Zeity's relatives will get you.

That never ends well.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                The M1 goes to the south west?

How novel.
                Oh yeah. Runs alongside the A330, from Maidenhead to Sunningdale.

And don't go to the Lizard or Zeity's relatives will get you.

That never ends well.
                Well we can live in hope. There is a point where ignorance stops being amusing!
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Crappy narrow B roads that get flooded out of season or flooded with tourists in season ... crappy regional airports to the big smoke if struggle with the fibre broadband speeds to work remotely ... only one main road out of the place (A30 or A38 then M1 or A330) .. only one trainline (via Dawlish that gets washed away every year, and takes the scenic route so qucker by car) ... too many beaches and moors and nowt to do for the city dwellers scared of going outside when the gyms are closed ... milder weather but that just means more rain and wind off the atlantic, and loads of people poncing about on pieces of board as a hobby clogging up the car parks with their vdub tarted up builders vans.

This was actually the reason I legged it from Liskeard quite a number of years ago. Roads mainly in gridlock during the tourist season, frequent accidents on the roads wasting most of the day sitting in traffic.... then when the season ends, you find the shops closing at 4pm and having to travel 18 miles to Plymouth to get the most basic of provisions.

It's fine for a couple of weeks holiday as a townie, but to live there as a local is an acquired taste.

Our neighbours over the other side of the farm I rented were one Mr Edward Woodward and his wife, and further over the village the guy who owned Castle Air.

Interesting times, but not for me.

Comment

Our family moved from the Midlands to Cornwall, right at the bottom in Penwith. Originally on a tiny track 3 miles from the nearest village, then to the outskirts of Marazion.

If you don't want to get in/out of Cornwall it's fine, if you do it is a PITA. When I had to travel there after my parent's deaths quite a bit I found the sleeper from London a huge plus. Finish work in the NE, get the east-coast mainline to KGX with dinner and a few G&Ts, mooch about the 1st-class waiting room in Paddington enjoying free wine for a bit then depart London at midnight and pull into Penzance about 8am ready to pick up a hire-car (albeit with a slightly fuzzy head).
                    The return leg gets you into London about 0530 which means I can be back home by about 1000 after a cooked breakfast on the train. In both directions, you travel across London when the tube is pretty quiet which is also great.

Pricey though.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X