• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Be Careful With Your Bird Feeder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Be Careful With Your Bird Feeder

Dormouse ate so many seeds in bird feeder it was too chubby to get out | Metro News

A greedy dormouse became trapped in a bird feeder after eating so many seeds it was too chubby to get out.

The hungry rodent had eaten so many seeds his stomach expanded and was stuck in the bird feeder for hours before being freed. He was found by pensioner Cheryl Hewins, who set the feeder down in the garden so he could ‘slowly wobble out.’

Cheryl, 72, sought the advice of Catherine Holder, who runs the Hampshire Dormouse Group Committee.

National Trust Ranger Catherine, 34, from Romsey, Hampshire, said: ‘Cheryl was a bit panicked about finding it in her feeder.

‘I quite couldn’t believe it when I saw the photo. ‘It’s nice it was a dormouse because so many times people think they’ve seen a dormouse and it’s not.

‘I also just thought it was hilarious. He just sat there like an absolute chunk.

‘I got back to her very quickly and confirmed it was a dormouse and told her to take it to the nearest vegetation cover in the garden and try and let him out as soon as possible.’

Catherine said the mouse’s impressive appetite was explained by him preparing for winter hibernation.

She added: ‘Generally they are not a garden species and if they do come to bird feeders it will be at night.

‘It’s quite unusual for someone to see them sitting still, blinking at them. ‘They hibernate from November to April and they have to properly chunk up.

‘I guess he’s eaten all the berries and nuts and he found this food source in a bird feeder, got in and started scoffing and couldn’t get out. ‘It’s amazing.’
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

That's not a DOOM!

Comment

Lovely DOOM thread - the message is: don’t get fat or the Covid gets you

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Lovely DOOM thread - the message is: don’t get fat or the Covid gets you
        I think you were reading an entirely different article.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          nah, just supporting his sock puppet.

Comment

I read it with my DOOM tinfoil hat on.

You should try it, SueEllen did...

Comment

Originally posted by jainnode View Post
              nah, just supporting his sock puppet.
              I care.

Comment

News about poor little dormouse being stuck really justifies a doom thread. If it was one of many ghastly politicians or celebrities being stuck in a sewer, it wouldn't be.

Found a mouse stuck in a large pot of bird seed in my shed a few years ago.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 21 November 2020, 17:17.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  News about poor little dormouse being stuck really justifies a doom thread. If it was one of many ghastly politicians or celebrities being stuck in a sewer, it wouldn't be.

Found a mouse stuck in a large pot of bird seed in my shed a few years ago.
                  It would have been doom if the (not so) little dormouse hadn't been found and helped to escape.

Comment

It would have been doom if the (not so) little dormouse hadn't been found and helped to escape.
                    The cats were waiting for the cameras to turn off

Comment

Working...
                    X