Scooter DOOM - police report! Scooter DOOM - police report!
Posts 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Banned

    AtW is always on top

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    58,772

    Default Scooter DOOM - police report!

    “ Met police report 700pc increase in e-scooter collisions

    A surge in interest in the new form of transport has been accompanied with a rise in crime and collisions

    London has seen a 700pc increase in collisions between illegal electric scooters, which can travel at up to 70mph, despite attempts to crack down on their use.

    The Met Police said there were 32 reported e-scooter accidents in 2018, up from just four a year earlier. To date 268 e-scooters have been seized while 604 people have been given warnings.

    The "silent" and "dangerous" vehicles are also being used to commit crimes. Since July, more 290 crimes involving e-scooters have been reported, including robbery, assault and theft.

    "Three people have been killed nationally now and it really is my fear, with unqualified people driving unroadworthy vehicles that we're going to see more deaths and more serious injuries,” said Chief Superintendent Simon Ovens, of the Met’s Road and Transport Policing Command.“

    Met police report 700pc increase in e-scooter collisions


  2. #2

    Fingers like lightning

    TheGreenBastard is NOT a disguised employee

    TheGreenBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    973

    Default

    700% in a year? Clearly overbought, I'm gonna open a short position.

  3. #3

    Super poster

    _V_ - scorchio!

    _V_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,322

    Default

    3 dead out of 70,000,000 makes it the safest form of transport ever.

    Hopefully Green Boris will ban cars and enforce electric rollerblades for everyone.

    I design idiot proof software. Trouble is, they keep making better idiots.

  4. #4

    More time posting than coding

    FIERCE TANK BATTLE has more data than eek

    FIERCE TANK BATTLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    279

    Default

    I believe the european trials produced results that said they were deathtraps, and that 90% of serious injuries on e-scooters were to the face, presumably because they pitch forward and smash your teeth in.

  5. #5

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB is a fount of knowledge

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    20,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    “ Met police report 700pc increase in e-scooter collisions

    A surge in interest in the new form of transport has been accompanied with a rise in crime and collisions

    London has seen a 700pc increase in collisions between illegal electric scooters, which can travel at up to 70mph, despite attempts to crack down on their use.

    The Met Police said there were 32 reported e-scooter accidents in 2018, up from just four a year earlier. To date 268 e-scooters have been seized while 604 people have been given warnings.

    The "silent" and "dangerous" vehicles are also being used to commit crimes. Since July, more 290 crimes involving e-scooters have been reported, including robbery, assault and theft.

    "Three people have been killed nationally now and it really is my fear, with unqualified people driving unroadworthy vehicles that we're going to see more deaths and more serious injuries,” said Chief Superintendent Simon Ovens, of the Met’s Road and Transport Policing Command.“

    Met police report 700pc increase in e-scooter collisions

    3 deaths since 2018 with no context around the number, 5 people day are killed by cars but he's worried about scooters.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    37,231

    Default

    I see dead people...
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    SueEllen is always on top

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    32,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    3 deaths since 2018 with no context around the number, 5 people day are killed by cars but he's worried about scooters.
    The police don't like them as people can use them as another way of transport to dodge them.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  8. #8

    Godlike

    Zigenare is a fount of knowledge

    Zigenare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    The police don't like them as people can use them as another way of transport to dodge them.
    Who've you asked?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

  9. #9

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Plague Island
    Posts
    11,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    3 deaths since 2018 with no context around the number, 5 people day are killed by cars but he's worried about scooters.
    obviously you bought an e-scooter
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

  10. #10

    Fingers like lightning

    edison has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    The police don't like them as people can use them as another way of transport to dodge them.
    Might be better than mopeds for drive by handbag thefts etc?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •