• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: ladymuck (potentially)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: ladymuck (potentially)

“ Alcohol tax reform would ‘target heavy drinkers’

Minimum unit pricing for alcohol is reasonably effective at targeting heavy drinkers but comes at a cost of hindering competition and reducing tax revenues, research suggests.

According to the independent Institute for Fiscal Studies, a minimum unit price, combined with a more coherent set of taxes on alcohol, would be just as well targeted at heavy drinkers and would limit the fall in revenue for the exchequer.

With the UK out of the European Union, the government is seeking views on how well the alcohol duty system is working and how it could be reformed to make it more effective.“

Alcohol tax reform would ‘target heavy drinkers’ | Business | The Times

I wouldn’t call ladymuck a “heavy drinker”.

She’s not heavy.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Minimum pricing didn't make much of a difference in Scotland so I can't see it making a difference in the rest of the UK either. But, I can't see the whole article to see what the full plans are and the usual 'chuck the title into google' trick isn't working.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I wouldn’t call ladymuck a “heavy drinker”.

She’s not heavy.

She's your brother?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Minimum pricing didn't make much of a difference in Scotland so I can't see it making a difference in the rest of the UK either. But, I can't see the whole article to see what the full plans are and the usual 'chuck the title into google' trick isn't working.
          By which measure (pun intended) do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            By which measure (pun intended) do you mean?
            A bottle of gin was the same price and offers are still available on many boozy products

Comment

Working...
            X