• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Anyone going to Church today?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Anyone going to Church today?

We know what you are up to....

‘Let us disobey’: Churches defy lockdown with secret meetings | Coronavirus | The Guardian

It sounds like the build-up to an illegal rave. Invitations are passed by word of mouth to trusted people. Minimal information – time, directions – is quietly given with pleas for discretion. Once everyone is assembled in a barn on a remote farm – “away from prying eyes,” says the organiser – it begins.

This is no rave, but an English church service under lockdown, and the organiser is a Protestant pastor. The Christians who will gather illegally in the west of England on Sunday morning – as they have for the past two Sundays – will pray, read from the scriptures, sing hymns and listen to a sermon.

“We’ve been holding clandestine services since this lockdown began,” the pastor told the Observer, speaking on condition of anonymity. “It feels weird for us to act this way. People have said it feels more like an underground church in China.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

That's in the west country, they are potato pealing inbreeds
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I guess they won't tell about those meetings to Track and Trace...

Comment

Let's not forget that Jesus did not preach in churches, temples and synagogues.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I am not religious in the slightest, but I find it terrible that we have ended up a country where a church must organise to meet in secret because the government of the day has banned such gatherings.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Let's not forget that Jesus did not preach in churches, temples and synagogues.
            And how did that end?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              I am not religious in the slightest, but I find it terrible that we have ended up a country where a church must organise to meet in secret because the government of the day has banned such gatherings.
              It’s terrible that given life and death stakes the govt can’t enforce simple rules and even more so that lots of people don’t give a tulip about it in the first place despite this being 21st century

Comment

Will they also be taking Ecstasy and speaking in tongues?
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  It’s terrible that given life and death stakes the govt can’t enforce simple rules and even more so that lots of people don’t give a tulip about it in the first place despite this being 21st century
                  No, that's not what is terrible. But sounds like you are totally complicit in what is going on. Good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    No, that's not what is terrible. But sounds like you are totally complicit in what is going on. Good luck with that.
                    I am totally complicit - following the law to avoid serious health risk for myself and for other people.

Sadly not everybody does it and while some people simply don’t have a choice - they have to go to work that can’t be done at home, but many break the rules when it’s not necessary - they can pray later for those who died, pretty sure Jesus would understand and approve

Comment

Working...
                    X