• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Anyone going to Church today?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Bunch of idiots. (Those meeting). They probably are into the conspiracy theories. It's fine to break the law to meet when the ban on is on the church meeting as an attempt by the government to control believers, but simply as a matter of societal protection - I'm not convinced that meets the requirements of "appealing to a higher law".

All the churches in my area have online services and abide by the rules.
    It would likely depend how long the bans are in place. And how well-reasoned the bans are - if we get to the point you can go to the pub and go to a football match but church services are restricted, I think we might see such 'rebellion' becoming more widespread especially given churches have already invested in plastic screens, detailed risk assessments, etc.
    Churches are faced with very confusing information, much of it guidance not law. Which makes "give to Caesar" complicated to navigate, and invites debate about what believers are required by their teachings to do and what they like to do... e.g. communion, singing, physical gatherings.

It should also be noted there are legitimate, credible legal challenges in place, to the extent government can restrict places of worship. No idea how they are going.

I don't know of anyone local to me breaking the rules, which I'm surprised by as I know some pretty fundamentalist conservative types. Maybe they are and I wasn't invited
    Last edited by d000hg; 23 November 2020, 11:28.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      It would likely depend how long the bans are in place. And how well-reasoned the bans are - if we get to the point you can go to the pub and go to a football match but church services are restricted, I think we might see such 'rebellion' becoming more widespread especially given churches have already invested in plastic screens, detailed risk assessments, etc.
      Churches are faced with very confusing information, much of it guidance not law. Which makes "give to Caesar" complicated to navigate, and invites debate about what believers are required by their teachings to do and what they like to do... e.g. communion, singing, physical gatherings.

It should also be noted there are legitimate, credible legal challenges in place, to the extent government can restrict places of worship. No idea how they are going.

I don't know of anyone local to me breaking the rules, which I'm surprised by as I know some pretty fundamentalist conservative types. Maybe they are and I wasn't invited
      Let them die, and God will sort them out.

Pastor Who Defied Social Distancing Dies After Contracting Covid-19, Church Says - The New York Times

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        I know believers - old and vulnerable - who do hold that view. They see little point living holed up alone and miserable just for the sake of existing as long as possible, they'd rather attend church and risk dying.
        Rarely can we apply the motto "live fast die young" to octogenarians but several are pretty much at the "to hell[sic] with it" point now.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
        X