• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Covid-19: Oxford University vaccine shows 70% protection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    No it's better.
    "In general, a vaccine effectiveness of ~30-60% has been estimated for the three different influenza A (H1N1, H3N2) and B strains (Victoria or Yamagata lineages)."

Influenza vaccine effectiveness

On top end, yes, but 70% is no 95%.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Never had a flu jab so presumably won't need a COVID one then...
      You will change your mind when you or one of your family dies of one of them or is seriously ill with/after having it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by silent bob View Post
        70% sounds good enough to me. I'll be getting it if it means I can go on holiday again
        I'm am quite relieved that people are desperate to get the vaccine. It means I can have much better data on fatalities and severe adverse reactions before it's my turn in the line.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          I'm am quite relieved that people are desperate to get the vaccine. It means I can have much better data on fatalities and severe adverse reactions before it's my turn in the line.
          Problem is old people die of things anyway.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

"The vaccine, developed with the University of Oxford, showed 90% efficacy in one dosing regimen -- when the vaccine was given as a half dose, followed by a full dose at least a month later -- and 62% efficacy in a second regimen -- when two full doses were given at least a month apart. "

Oxford AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine is 70% effective on average, data shows - CNN

So 70% is average...

Now if they can definately prove first regimen gives 90% then things are good, otherwise 62% is a bit pants in comparison to mRNA stuff...

Comment

The efficacy of this with multiple dosages, the temperature requirements and the dosage costs make this pretty spectacular/exceptional when you look into it. Millions of units at the ready too if/when it gets the green light.

Some Vaccine Makers Say They Plan to Profit From Coronavirus Vaccine - The New York Times

AstraZeneca's no-profit pledge for vaccine has expiration date: report | TheHill

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                The efficacy of this with multiple dosages, the temperature requirements and the dosage costs make this pretty spectacular/exceptional when you look into it.
                If it's 90%, a lot less spectacular if it's 62% (top end of flu vaccines)

Something really odd about this one ...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You will change your mind when you or one of your family dies of one of them or is seriously ill with/after having it.
                  I don't know. My grandfather died from flu a couple years ago. I still wouldn't bother with flu vaccine.

The thing is you have some people posting here who are 30, some are mid 50s obese with diabetes and heart disease. Some are 70. Obviously we all will approach this differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Key bit here for me is "from developing symptoms". What about "from being infected and passing the infection on"?

If you are in the at main risk group that would be enough for you.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      "In general, a vaccine effectiveness of ~30-60% has been estimated for the three different influenza A (H1N1, H3N2) and B strains (Victoria or Yamagata lineages)."

Influenza vaccine effectiveness

On top end, yes, but 70% is no 95%.
                      So in your world, 70% is "the top end" of 30-60%?
                      70% is a very good result.

Rich people can have the expensive 95% vaccines, Oxford's can be air-dropped in all the poor dirty countries at only a couple of quid a go.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X