Is 18 months too long to be in one role? Is 18 months too long to be in one role? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 26

Godlike

Whorty is a fount of knowledge

I'd say only you know if 18 months is too long for you, but the other big question that only you can answer is, if you leave them and the market is dead how long are you willing to be on the bench before you regret jumping from this role?

Me personally, 18 months is about the limit unless I'm moving between projects and hence keeping me interested. But that's me.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH has reached the peak. Play again?

How many rate increases have you had in that time?
    How much renegotiating have you done on the contract?
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

Godlike

jamesbrown is a fount of knowledge

Long-term contracts are fine if you also run short-term ones in parallel. Otherwise, pretty boring, I would’ve thought. One of the main benefits of contracting, other than the obscene amount of money, is the variety.

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk has reached the peak. Play again?

You getting a conscience or something? Normally you just bin the client whenever it suits you don't you? If it suits you sack them off, if it doesn't then don't.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Super poster

NorthWestPerm2Contr 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    You threw the over contractor under the bus because you're bored?
    sorry I should have clarified - we discussed and agreed this before telling clientco. Have built an excellent relationship with other contractor and we believe we have done a cracking job. Part of doing a good job is ensuring adequate KT and assisting in transition to BAU.
    "To Learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise"- Voltaire

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    I don't think there's a right or wrong length of time to be in the same gig, although the longer you are there the harder it is to say you're not a permie.

I tend to leave when I get bored, preferably when I've got something else lined up first, but sometimes I just take the time off and have a nice break. The latter is not really advisable at the moment, I'd say.
    I do have a plan B that is in action and would cover about 40% of my costs + about 9 months warchest (which can be stretched to 12 months+ with aid of plan B). Taking time off may allow me to improve plan B as well..... Nonetheless I will likely need a contract within 6 months of leaving which I don't see as a major issue given my skillset and experience, even in the current climate.
    "To Learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise"- Voltaire

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    You getting a conscience or something? Normally you just bin the client whenever it suits you don't you? If it suits you sack them off, if it doesn't then don't.
    When you have made a judgement on somebody there is no going back! I'm a properly seasoned contractor now with nearly 11 years worth of gigs under my belt (about 16 different roles in total). In Mourinho style "RESPECT!, RESPECT!"

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    How many rate increases have you had in that time?
    How much renegotiating have you done on the contract?
    I was already top whack rate wise and since lockdown not found any roles to match the rate. Now the point has come where a slight decrease would make sense in the long-term for my mental health as well as skills wise.

Super poster

Andy2 's job has never been outsourced

A contractor can only get rich if he does long term contracts instead of many short term ones.
    I knew someone who spent 18 years in the same contract.

My post count is Majestic

AtW is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by Andy2 View Post
    I knew someone who spent 18 years in the same contract.
    Your cellmate?