• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is 18 months too long to be in one role?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say only you know if 18 months is too long for you, but the other big question that only you can answer is, if you leave them and the market is dead how long are you willing to be on the bench before you regret jumping from this role?

Me personally, 18 months is about the limit unless I'm moving between projects and hence keeping me interested. But that's me.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

How many rate increases have you had in that time?
      How much renegotiating have you done on the contract?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Long-term contracts are fine if you also run short-term ones in parallel. Otherwise, pretty boring, I would’ve thought. One of the main benefits of contracting, other than the obscene amount of money, is the variety.

Comment

You getting a conscience or something? Normally you just bin the client whenever it suits you don't you? If it suits you sack them off, if it doesn't then don't.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
            You threw the over contractor under the bus because you're bored?
            sorry I should have clarified - we discussed and agreed this before telling clientco. Have built an excellent relationship with other contractor and we believe we have done a cracking job. Part of doing a good job is ensuring adequate KT and assisting in transition to BAU.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I don't think there's a right or wrong length of time to be in the same gig, although the longer you are there the harder it is to say you're not a permie.

I tend to leave when I get bored, preferably when I've got something else lined up first, but sometimes I just take the time off and have a nice break. The latter is not really advisable at the moment, I'd say.
              I do have a plan B that is in action and would cover about 40% of my costs + about 9 months warchest (which can be stretched to 12 months+ with aid of plan B). Taking time off may allow me to improve plan B as well..... Nonetheless I will likely need a contract within 6 months of leaving which I don't see as a major issue given my skillset and experience, even in the current climate.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You getting a conscience or something? Normally you just bin the client whenever it suits you don't you? If it suits you sack them off, if it doesn't then don't.
                When you have made a judgement on somebody there is no going back! I'm a properly seasoned contractor now with nearly 11 years worth of gigs under my belt (about 16 different roles in total). In Mourinho style "RESPECT!, RESPECT!"

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  How many rate increases have you had in that time?
                  How much renegotiating have you done on the contract?
                  I was already top whack rate wise and since lockdown not found any roles to match the rate. Now the point has come where a slight decrease would make sense in the long-term for my mental health as well as skills wise.

Comment

A contractor can only get rich if he does long term contracts instead of many short term ones.
                    I knew someone who spent 18 years in the same contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                      I knew someone who spent 18 years in the same contract.
                      Your cellmate?

Comment

Working...
                      X