• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOM: He's coming...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOOM: He's coming...

but he must obey the Covid rules according to BOJO. (As always he's behind Sturgeon with his actions.)

Anyway considering Santa isn't British and Finish as he lives in Lapland why would he obey British rules? Plus he doesn't work with other humans so unless reindeer and elves are carriers of Covid he's OK

Father Christmas WILL deliver presents this year, says Boris Johnson | Daily Mail Online

The Prime Minister has written to allay the fears of children across the country by confirming Father Christmas will be 'packing his sleigh and delivering presents' this year despite Covid restrictions.

Boris Johnson set out the rules Santa must follow in reply to a message from eight-year-old Monti, who had written to the PM asking for clarity on the subject and the help of the UK's top scientific minds.

'Dear Mr Johnson, I am eight years old and I was wondering if you and the government had thought about Santa coming this Christmas,' wrote Monti.

'If we leave hand sanitiser by the cookies can he come? Or will he wash his hands? I understand you are very busy but can you and the scientists please talk about this.'

Mr Johnson shared his letter of reply on Twitter, adding that he had received 'lots of letters about this' and had consulted with experts about the issue.

'I have put in a call to the North Pole and I can tell you Father Christmas is ready and raring to go, as are Rudolph and all of the other reindeer,' wrote the Prime Minister.

'The Chief Medical Officer has asked me to tell you that, provided Father Christmas behaves in his usual responsible way and works quickly and safely, there are no risks to your health or his.'

Mr Johnson also praised Monti's idea to put hand sanitiser next to any treats left for Father Christmas.

Mr Johnson is the latest leader to confirm to the nation's children that Father Christmas will not be stopped by coronavirus.

In October, Nicola Sturgeon was forced to make a promise to Scottish children that Santa would still deliver their Christmas presents - after her top medical advisor said hopes of a traditional festive gathering were a 'fiction'.

The First Minister joked that her national clinical director Professor Jason Leitch would be portrayed as the Grinch on newspaper front pages after he said families should prepare to see loved ones over Zoom because of coronavirus.

She attempted to play down the significance of his remarks at her daily press conference today as she came under increasing fire over a five-tier lockdown system set to be even tougher than Boris Johnson's in England.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

I'm not sure he should be allowed out. Ignoring the fact that he does absolutely nothing for most of the year, he is obese, and therefore in the high risk group of dying from Covid.

But, enough about Johnson, it's great news that Santa can make it.

Comment

In all seriousness though, does anyone actually believe that Monti (and that letter) actually exist and are not just part of the a very contrived government PR message.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        In all seriousness though, does anyone actually believe that Monti (and that letter) actually exist and are not just part of the a very contrived government PR message.
        Even if he doesn't why copy Sturgeon? BoJo just looks like he can never have an original idea.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Does he earn over 25k?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Does he earn over 25k?
            I've just checked, and sliding down people's chimneys while they're sleeping, in order to surprise their children, is not on the zzzzz list.
            Last edited by Paralytic; 25 November 2020, 15:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              I've just checked, and sliding down people's chimneys while they're sleeping, in order to surprise their children, is not on the zzzz list.
              Yeah, it's probably on another list.

Comment

Has he got recent CRB check?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  but he must obey the Covid rules according to BOJO. (As always he's behind Sturgeon with his actions.)

Anyway considering Santa isn't British and Finish as he lives in Lapland why would he obey British rules? Plus he doesn't work with other humans so unless reindeer and elves are carriers of Covid he's OK
                  As I understand it because Finland has signed up to the Chicago Convention (1944) Santa's sleigh and reindeers are allowed into the territories of all other contracting states without prior diplomatic permission as long as he's not engaged in the carriage of passengers, mail, or cargo for reward. Although I'm not sure if mince pies, brandy and carrots might qualify as reward in which case it would be a commercial flight..

However under the same agreement, contracting states (UK) agree to permit aircraft registered in the other contracting states (Finland) and engaged in commercial nonscheduled flights to fly into their territory without prior diplomatic permission to pick up and discharge passengers & cargo.

Here the complication arises from nonscheduled - It's difficult to argue since it's at the same time every year.

So I think the rules come down to the principle of Cujus est solum ejus est usque ad coelum et ad inferos (“he who owns the land owns what is above and below it”) i.e UK law applies.

Therefore if Santa wishes to avoid UK rules applying he either needs to vary the time of his flight OR not accept any mince pies & brandy.

Comment

Denmark had Covid mutations in minks. Not far from Finland. I hope Rudolph is tested...

Comment

Working...
                    X