• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Atheist arguments again Christianity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Have a read of Philostorgius (or what remains of his reconstructed writings), if you haven't previously.
    Interesting, haven't read him so will do thanks.

BTW

homoousios vs homoiousios (same v similar)

I have the feeling that's where 'it matters not one iota' comes from.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Right. Jesus didn't create us with original sin. Adam and Eve caused original sin by eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good an evil. But well done for getting the "Jesus is God" bit right.
      Is the title boo-boo your fault or Vetties?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Is the title boo-boo your fault or Vetties?

NATTY dragged this out of a joke in light relief as he seems to be offended. The title is his.

Interestingly thanks to a few posters I learnt something new i.e. how many legacy stories were inserted into the bible (I knew of Gilgamesh but not the others) and how many virgins get defiled by gods in "history". It seems it is more brothers Grimm than the word of God.
        Last edited by vetran; 26 November 2020, 14:33.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

One question:

Some things are not meant to be answered and therefore not meant to have a civilisation of rules built around.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Interestingly, the virgin birth seems to have been added on to the story sometime after the death of Christ; the reason being, historically gods were traditionally born of virgins.
            I don't think there's much evidence for that though of course it's one of the more 'far fetched' parts of the gospels by normal standards.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I don't think there's much evidence for that though of course it's one of the more 'far fetched' parts of the gospels by normal standards.
              Like Noah getting kangaroos on his ark wasn't farfetched

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                Because they kept jumping off?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                  Interesting, haven't read him so will do thanks.

BTW

homoousios vs homoiousios (same v similar)

I have the feeling that's where 'it matters not one iota' comes from.
                  The surviving historiography is principally written from an Athanasian or pagan viewpoint, and IIRC Philostorgius is just about the only contemporary Arian source.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Whereas God drowning all the babies of the world except those in Noah's household is pretty consistent with his documented behaviour. Why anyone would worship such a deity, except out of fear, is very odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Whereas God drowning all the babies of the world except those in Noah's household is pretty consistent with his documented behaviour. Why anyone would worship such a deity, except out of fear, is very odd.

Aye, Hitler killed fewer than any actual god when the final total is calculated at the end of the universe.

At the end of the day only humans have religion yet all life has a god of some sort, i.e. the actual reason life exists which we'll never likely know for sure, unless god itself shows its face and somehow we determine it's not just some advanced species that is impossible to distinguish from magic.

God as an entity would be more believable if 'he' sent a non-human to do his bidding, e.g. a talking dog, which isn't altogether backwards.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X