• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Atheist arguments again Christianity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Remember original sin and mysterious ways.
    Sociopaths like God always have an excuse.

God’s Psychological Profile | Richard Dawkins Foundation

God’s Psychological ProfileDiscussion
    Mar 12, 2014

Discussion by: David R Allen

I've often wondered what a group of psychologists would make of god if they were presented with a list of behaviours described in the bible, but were not told who the person they were profiling was. How would they assess god. The following is what I think would be high on their lists.

Narcissistic. God likes to be praised. If you don't praise him, he will either kill you, send you to hell or excommunicate you. This suggests a fragile and shallow ego that can't exist without the approval of others. The praise must be elaborate and expensive and must be constant. Just saying. "I like you god." is not enough. You have to repeat this praise for your whole life.

Sociopath / Psychopath. God is probably the greatest serial killer of all time. He kills without conscience. He kills children too young to have formed evil intent. He selects his victims on racial grounds or because they don't worship and adore him. He kills animals and plants en masse. Again a sure sign of a serial killer who lacks empathy or a conscience. This is not an entity that should be used as a role model for morality or ethical behavior.

Exclusionary and corrupt. God has favourites. Far from all humans being created equal, god selected one tribe out of all of the millions on the planet and decide they were his pet humans. God used omnipotent powers to commit a genocide against people that were not of that select tribe, ethnically cleansed a piece of land for the exclusive use of one tribe, and then abandoned them shortly after to suffer a similar genocide in later history. This suggests that god's rationale for selecting his favourites is shallow and unreliable. God's promises cannot be trusted. God can also be swayed by bribes, gifts and offerings. The more brutal the offering, the more god likes it. A sure sign of a narcissistic cult mentality.

Disorganized and slap dash. There is much evidence of overkill (great floods, fires, earthquakes, etc), signifying rage and frustration. There is no pattern to these events as well, usually because disorganized killers are guided by delusion. They also don't try to hide what they do (quite the opposite – God has very noticeable M.O.s). Usually disorganized killers have poor interpersonal skills and their extreme psychosis causes them to be solitary. God's motivation is often vengeance. If he feels a slight, he is likely to overreact and kill en masse, rather that retribution to the individual. What offends god changes with time so it is very dangerous for humanity to do anything, lest god suddenly find this behaviour offensive, and send down another flood to wipe out life on earth, except his favourites.

Poor attention to detail. As a creator, god's science project, life in the universe and us, is a hodge podge of sticky tape and glue. The defects or poor design in life on earth are myriad and obvious. I won't list them as they have been the subject of brilliant exposure elsewhere in this discussion community.

You get the picture. I'm sure many more character flaws can be found in god's psychological profile given time. I found a psychological profile of god written by a student criminal profiler, which inspired this discussion suggestion. The full text can be found here.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Sociopaths like God always have an excuse.

God’s Psychological Profile | Richard Dawkins Foundation
      This would be funny if so many millions around the world didn't take religion so seriously and believe that god is real. It really is quite strange how so many humans can be duped so easily and for so long.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        This would be funny if so many millions around the world didn't take religion so seriously and believe that god is real. It really is quite strange how so many humans can be duped so easily and for so long.
        It's the oldest conspiracy theory in the world....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          How Much Does God Know About the Future?

| Answers in Genesis

He knew about the apple tree, he knew the fruit would be eaten, he knew he'd be slung on a cross.
          hmm
          Believers need to recognize the preciousness of this biblical truth about God’s omniscience. God explicitly claims accurate knowledge of future events as one of the greatest proofs that he is the one and only true God. It shows us not only that we can trust him but also that he is in total control of all things.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            It's the oldest conspiracy theory in the world....
            It's a great wheeze by a minority of men to keep the majority under control.

Comment

hmm
              The omniscience about the future is very odd.

E.g.

Genesis 6.6 the LORD regretted making human beings on the earth, and his heart was grieved.
              So he knew when creating humans that he would regret it and then destroy them (except for Noah's household) in the flood?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                It's a great wheeze by a minority of men to keep the majority under control.
                I have always felt with these New Agey types that they only become "priest" or whatever they call them, to get laid as it is mostly men who are their leaders and women who follow them

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Is the title boo-boo your fault or Vetties?
                  All my own work.

NATTY dragged this out of a joke in light relief as he seems to be offended.
                  Not really. You've post several jokes that I find personally offensive or just not funny, and didn't move them. However, you do have an admirable hit rate for both jokes that produce a groan and those that provoke a laugh. Long may they continue.

The main reason is I saw the potential to trigger some of the more irrational religion haters. It seems to have worked.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    The main reason is I saw the potential to trigger some of the more irrational religion haters. It seems to have worked.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                      You beat me to it

By highlighting the flaws in religions (irrespective of the flavour of religion) and the person is somehow an irrational hater. Interesting .... almost reminds me of a more modern 'religion' that came to the fore in 2015 and peaked in June 2016 where it's supporters were rabidly fanatical despite the logic showing otherwise, and those of us who disagreed were irrational

Get the right powerful, rich men behind a cause and it doesn't seem that difficult to get the masses to follow the idea. Religions eh?

Comment

Working...
                      X