• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Atheist arguments again Christianity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    You beat me to it

By highlighting the flaws in religions (irrespective of the flavour of religion) and the person is somehow an irrational hater. Interesting .... almost reminds me of a more modern 'religion' that came to the fore in 2015 and peaked in June 2016 where it's supporters were rabidly fanatical despite the logic showing otherwise, and those of us who disagreed were irrational

Get the right powerful, rich men behind a cause and it doesn't seem that difficult to get the masses to follow the idea. Religions eh?

If people choose to believe in something I am certain is untrue that is entirely their choice, I try not to mock them or insult them and respect their beliefs. As you say the b word was divisive and there was a level of mockery that was most unpleasant.

Its sad a religion that urges you to turn the other cheek responds with anger and defamatory statements.

The similarity between Bible stories and older folk stories is interesting. The admission in God's own autobiography that he killed over half the population or in other parts 99.99995% is also interesting when people talk about a God of love.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      T The admission in God's own autobiography that he killed over half the population or in other parts 99.99995% is also interesting when people talk about a God of love.
      In that case and any hardship that comes over someone, like babies dying of cancer, it's always god works in mysterious ways or god is testing us
      If you survive any hardship or cancer it's because of the power and love of god (the "why did the bastard give it to you in the first place" bit gets ignored)

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        In that case and any hardship that comes over someone, like babies dying of cancer, it's always god works in mysterious ways or god is testing us
        If you survive any hardship or cancer it's because of the power and love of god (the "why did the bastard give it to you in the first place" bit gets ignored)
        This is quite pertinent at the moment in our house - my good wife is coming towards the end of her journey on this planet. She has quite a lot to say about god and how caring he must be to come up with these diseases that cause such suffering. Let's just say, when she was in the hospice recently and the chaplin came in to ask if she wanted a chat she gracefully declined.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          This is quite pertinent at the moment in our house - my good wife is coming towards the end of her journey on this planet. She has quite a lot to say about god and how caring he must be to come up with these diseases that cause such suffering. Let's just say, when she was in the hospice recently and the chaplin came in to ask if she wanted a chat she gracefully declined.
          I have to say hospital chaplains are some of my favourite people working in healthcare. Although I do remember the time the on-call RC priest (not the regular RC chaplain who was a lovely man) came and shouted at everyone that we'd called him too late and the un-baptised baby was in Limbo now for eternity. The parents weren't religious but had him called in for the grandparents really - you don't even need a priest for a baptism.

Edit: no reason of course that your good lady wife should engage if she doesn't want to!!
          Last edited by Old Greg; 27 November 2020, 12:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            I have to say hospital chaplains are some of my favourite people working in healthcare. Although I do remember the time the on-call RC priest (not the regular RC chaplain who was a lovely man) came and shouted at everyone that we'd called him too late and the un-baptised baby was in Limbo now for eternity. The parents weren't religious but had him called in for the grandparents really - you don't even need a priest for a baptism.

Edit: no reason of course that your good lady wife should engage if she doesn't want to!!
            He did seem like a perfectly nice chap and I'm sure that he would have kept religion out of the conversation. Like me, my wife is not a big fan of religions; she's especially chatty on how religions treat women

Comment

You’re confusing omnipotence with omniscience.
              For Erikur, confusion is his base setting.

But for his ease of comprehension:
              If god is good and all powerful but not everywhere, then evil snuck in where he wasn't.
              If he is everywhere and all powerful, then he doesn't care.
              If he is good and everywhere, but not all powerful, then there are some things he can't fix
              The question is then
              If god is good, everywhere and all powerful why is there evil?

The answer to this conundrum is left as an exercise for the reader. As a separate exercise, consider whether an all powerful god can create an object so massive, he cannot move it.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                For Erikur, confusion is his base setting.

But for his ease of comprehension:
                If god is good and all powerful but not everywhere, then evil snuck in where he wasn't.
                If he is everywhere and all powerful, then he doesn't care.
                If he is good and everywhere, but not all powerful, then there are some things he can't fix
                The question is then
                If god is good, everywhere and all powerful why is there evil?

The answer to this conundrum is left as an exercise for the reader. As a separate exercise, consider whether an all powerful god can create an object so massive, he cannot move it.
                I'm confused .... what's this thread got to do with MF?

Comment

Religion is often used as a get-out clause for a person's own responsibility. An example close to home is a business man who is grossly incompetent blames all of his misfortunes on being punished for the sins of his grandfather and advised by the priest. This is despite that everyone one else advised him to change his business practices.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The only time I ever came into contact with a hospital chaplain was in the middle of the night and it scared the living daylights out of me. I woke up and there was this older man dressed in black, so I knew he wasn't a doctor, leaning over me saying something which I didn't understand. We found out that he was giving me the Last Rites as I wasn't expected to last until morning....(also a bit strange as we're not Catholic!)
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      The only time I ever came into contact with a hospital chaplain was in the middle of the night and it scared the living daylights out of me. I woke up and there was this older man dressed in black, so I knew he wasn't a doctor, leaning over me saying something which I didn't understand. We found out that he was giving me the Last Rites as I wasn't expected to last until morning....(also a bit strange as we're not Catholic!)
                      And it's afternoon now

Comment

Working...
                      X