• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Atheist arguments again Christianity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    In that case and any hardship that comes over someone, like babies dying of cancer, it's always god works in mysterious ways or god is testing us
    If you survive any hardship or cancer it's because of the power and love of god (the "why did the bastard give it to you in the first place" bit gets ignored)

Damn I am agreeing with you!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

He was obviously having a bad day
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Ugh, even most atheists think Dawkins is a jumped up attention-seeker. Atheism should be based on sober decision making, not being really angry with people.

He is a man that preached for atheism. Is the baby eating Bishop of Bath & Welles or the many bishops he was based on any less extreme?

Such a pity you can't put a fatwa on him and chop his head off like other departments of the same basic religion do. Maybe go back to burning unbelievers? I think if Dawkins had been into some of that we would of heard of it.

Now there are some great clergy & believers out there, their faith appears to improve them but there are plenty of great atheists.

Comment

Just be awesome to each other!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            He is a man that preached for atheism. Is the baby eating Bishop of Bath & Welles or the many bishops he was based on any less extreme?

Such a pity you can't put a fatwa on him and chop his head off like other departments of the same basic religion do. Maybe go back to burning unbelievers? I think if Dawkins had been into some of that we would of heard of it.

Now there are some great clergy & believers out there, their faith appears to improve them but there are plenty of great atheists.
            If you are looking for some Christian hard-core loons, you could always try Lord's Resistance Army - Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Ugh, even most atheists think Dawkins is a jumped up attention-seeker. Atheism should be based on sober decision making, not being really angry with people.
              John D Barrow didn't think he is. When Barrow (physicist and Christian) quipped that Dawkins wasn't a real scientist, Dawkins acolytes got awfully upset. Dawkins had to explain to them that they were on friendly terms, and the such quips are common between physicists and biologists. Sometimes Christians are told that they only believe the way they do because of what they were taught/what their parents taught them/growing up in a Christian society - what's funny is when this is by atheists who use arguments they learned from the God Delusion.

Christian: you are a sinner and need to repent
              Atheist: what? You're saying I'm a bad person? Prepare to die!

(Well, that should keep this thread going for another 100 posts).
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                John D Barrow didn't think he is. When Barrow (physicist and Christian) quipped that Dawkins wasn't a real scientist, Dawkins acolytes got awfully upset. Dawkins had to explain to them that they were on friendly terms, and the such quips are common between physicists and biologists. Sometimes Christians are told that they only believe the way they do because of what they were taught/what their parents taught them/growing up in a Christian society - what's funny is when this is by atheists who use arguments they learned from the God Delusion.

Christian: you are a sinner and need to repent
                Atheist: what? You're saying I'm a bad person? Prepare to die!

(Well, that should keep this thread going for another 100 posts).
                Something of a false equivalence there between Christianity and atheism.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Something of a false equivalence there between Christianity and atheism.
                  If you're an atheist, to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies, you would say that. Because you're an atheist, you consider it a false equivalence. I'm not, and don't.

But you choose you world view. Doesn't bother me that you're wrong. I just feel patronisingly sorry for you.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    If you're an atheist, to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies, you would say that. Because you're an atheist, you consider it a false equivalence. I'm not, and don't.

But you choose you world view. Doesn't bother me that you're wrong. I just feel patronisingly sorry for you.
                    Do you believe in the Machine Elves of Hyperspace or are you agnostic or do you believe they don't exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Do you believe in the Machine Elves of Hyperspace or are you agnostic or do you believe they don't exist?
                      No, no and no. I just don't care. I only answer this is the context of your point. If someone started a post out of the blue about Machine Elves of Hyperspace, my only response would be C.f. Great Pumpkin, Reformed Epistemology.

Does no one have anything interesting to say?

Comment

Working...
                      X