• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are LinkedIn jobs fake?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are LinkedIn jobs fake?

I’ve always used jobserve or friends to get jobs and ignored linkedIn as a sort of spy and spam scam.

But I found out there’s an inbox/email thing that I haven’t been reading. It’s full of messages asking if I want programming jobs for salaries at £150,000 to £300,000 - usually for C++ or Python.

Now, even after taxes, that’s comparable to the contract rates I get as a not very good jack-of-all-trades programmer.

So what’s the catch? Why are the rates offered on LinkedIn twice what they are on jobserve?

I was thinking of dumping jobserve anyway because the scroll bar doesn’t work properly, this extra hundred grand may be enough for me to make the jump.

If you are job hunting wouldn't any sane person use all the options available to them
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      If you are job hunting wouldn't any sane person use all the options available to them
      I’m neither job hunting nor sane, but one good reason to not use both would be because the jobserve ones seem to pay a hundred grand or so less per year.

Comment

Lots of LI jobs are fake or screenscraped and will link you through countless amount of fake job websites where you need to register only to find out it was posted 40 days ago as where it in LI said posted today.
        Typically the jobs that don't have an icon of a company next to it, but only some grey default picture fall in this category.

PS I see on jobserve also a lot of fake jobs at the moment, the same.contracts or jobs posted every day over and over again for the last three months, especially Anson McCade seems to do it, with very high salary or rates
        Last edited by Eirikur; 29 November 2020, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Absolutely. I'm coming out of retirement to do a job for a Nigerian prince. I had to pay £5000 to cover the paperwork but that's nothing compared to the rate I've ben offered.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

On linkedin you should be mostly applying directly to end company you'd be working for. In this case most will be real as long as the company is real.

I don't think many 3rd party recruitment companies advertise on Linkedin. I haven't really applied to any jobs like that anyway. They tend to use the job boards. So if the extra 100k job is one of these then its probably fake.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              On linkedin you should be mostly applying directly to end company you'd be working for. In this case most will be real as long as the company is real.

I don't think many 3rd party recruitment companies advertise on Linkedin. I haven't really applied to any jobs like that anyway. They tend to use the job boards. So if the extra 100k job is one of these then its probably fake.
              Lots of agencies advertise on LI, including contracts. Both by just posting about them in their feeds and in the jobs section.

Comment

But plenty of individual recruitment consultants do. You'll only see them if those individuals are in your 'network' though.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

An agent I used once posts on LinkedIn first in his network then about 24-48 hours later puts the role on jobserve if there are no takers.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    But plenty of individual recruitment consultants do. You'll only see them if those individuals are in your 'network' though.
                    I see them make posts but I haven't seen them post in the actual job board part of linkedin.

Comment

Working...
                    X