• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelancers face selling homes as MPs urge Chancellor to offer more help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Reading between the lines, this guy has been siphoning cash out the business tax free via 'loans' and presumably spaffing it up the wall on flash cars and houses far too big and expensive. Crazy. I have zero sympathy for these people.
    I am sure there are some contractors facing hard times that deserve some sympathy, but anyone that went nuclear almost the moment they lost their contracts back in Feb/March, not so much. I guess some fraction of contractors never really understood contracting. I have more sympathy for those that have exhausted their warchests and still can't find (e.g., permie) work.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      I am sure there are some contractors facing hard times that deserve some sympathy, but anyone that went nuclear almost the moment they lost their contracts back in Feb/March, not so much. I guess some fraction of contractors never really understood contracting. I have more sympathy for those that have exhausted their warchests and still can't find (e.g., permie) work.
      Yep, agreed. But then there are those like this chap who seemed to be trying to play the system and got caught out. It's guys like this that give 'honest' contractors a bad name.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        You didn't notice that most contractors are living invoice to invoice.
        He's contracting in finance for 11 years. Gotta be billing 150-200k a year or more. Even at 150 a year and with 2 director company should be keeping 50k a year in the company. Should have 500k+ between pension, company bank account, any other company assets (BTLs for example)

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
          He's contracting in finance for 11 years. Gotta be billing 150-200k a year or more. Even at 150 a year and with 2 director company should be keeping 50k a year in the company. Should have 500k+ between pension, company bank account, any other company assets (BTLs for example)
          Really? just because you can bill that amount doesn't mean others can...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

I bought my parents’ house from them five years ago because my father was trapped in a bad mortgage deal and was not able to retire.
            Yeah, right. More likely to avoid inheritance tax.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Really? just because you can bill that amount doesn't mean others can...
              How many contractors you know in banking who aren't billing that much?

Comment

A lot....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Right now? Most of them, I expect.

Comment

I was on £425 p/d in my last banking job.

It doesn't matter if people are earning £10k or £300k - if their lifestyle is beyond their income, they're going to be screwed as soon as that regular pay check stops coming in.

Comment

My last permie banking job was 800 USD.

Per month

Comment

Working...
                      X