Should I get a Colour Laser Printer? Should I get a Colour Laser Printer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11

    Fingers like lightning

    edison has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Surprised by some of the comments about Brother printers... I've had a wireless Brother A3 colour inkjet MFP for a few years and it's one of the most unreliable pieces of tech I ever bought. It's forever losing connectivity or just won't print and I have to reboot it.

    I've looked at lots of other wireless alternatives but many seem to have similar connectivity problems.

  2. #12

    Super poster

    rootsnall is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    Nowt very fancy then. I've got a Canon PIXMA MG2550, was only about £50. Does all I need. Decent quality. I get cheaper cartridges from cartridgesave, work well. Unlike some other replacement suppliers.

    PS Used to love my little Lexmark though, he used to talk to me. "Printing started" "Please load paper in the auto sheet feeder"
    WHS. Cheap PIXMAs and chuck em away when they bust. Quality so so but good enough. I got 2 for £25 each, cartridges included, which was cheaper than the cartridges cost if bought separately. Argos have some for £30 when I just googled. I've been refilling the black cartridges without problems, not tried colour yet.
    Last edited by rootsnall; 1st December 2020 at 10:33.

  3. #13

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is always on top

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    28,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rootsnall View Post
    WHS. Cheap PIXMAs and chuck em away when they bust. Quality so so but good enough. I got 2 for £25 each, cartridges included, which was cheaper than the cartridges cost if bought separately. Argos have some for £30 when I just googled. I've been refilling the black cartridges without problems, not tried colour yet.
    IIRC the cartridges that come with the printer have not much ink in them.

  4. #14

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is always on top

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    58,645

    Default

    You won’t get quality colour laser for 200 quid, manufacturers have to make profits on them somehow and it will be painful if you plan to save money upfront

  5. #15

    Super poster

    rootsnall is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    IIRC the cartridges that come with the printer have not much ink in them.
    They aren't too bad tbh, I remember some years ago that literally printed 10 sheets, think they were Epson. Black ones have refilled OK so far, I have my colour refills ready for the brave new world.

  6. #16

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk has reached the peak. Play again?

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,982

    Default

    Should I get a Colour Laser Printer?
    No. **** off.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #17

    More fingers than teeth

    ladymuck has reached the peak. Play again?

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Surprised by some of the comments about Brother printers... I've had a wireless Brother A3 colour inkjet MFP for a few years and it's one of the most unreliable pieces of tech I ever bought. It's forever losing connectivity or just won't print and I have to reboot it.

    I've looked at lots of other wireless alternatives but many seem to have similar connectivity problems.
    My parents have a Brother multifunction jobby and it's worked fine for years. But they don't use it wireless.

  8. #18

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB is a fount of knowledge

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    20,727

    Default

    HP Officejet Pro 9020 all in one.

    Good feature set, reliable, reasonable price if you buy direct from HP.

    Advantage with a Laser is that if you don't print a huge amount you don't need to worry about the cartridges drying up or clogging if it doesn't get used for a while.

    EDIT: I gave up on wireless printing and stick to wired these days. Not even tried it with the HP, even though it will do it.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  9. #19

    bored now

    eek is always on top

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    HP Officejet Pro 9020 all in one.

    Good feature set, reliable, reasonable price if you buy direct from HP.

    Advantage with a Laser is that if you don't print a huge amount you don't need to worry about the cartridges drying up or clogging if it doesn't get used for a while.

    EDIT: I gave up on wireless printing and stick to wired these days. Not even tried it with the HP, even though it will do it.
    +1 - the Officejet Pro 8620 I've got has lasted 6 years without an issue.

    Double sided printing and just wired into the network (as it sits next to the server). Also it happily takes chipped cartridges so printing costs £20 a year.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  10. #20

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Plague Island
    Posts
    11,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Surprised by some of the comments about Brother printers... I've had a wireless Brother A3 colour inkjet MFP for a few years and it's one of the most unreliable pieces of tech I ever bought. It's forever losing connectivity or just won't print and I have to reboot it.

    I've looked at lots of other wireless alternatives but many seem to have similar connectivity problems.
    More likely you are having general wifi issues. Have you tried downloading wifi scanning software and troubleshooting?

    One way out is to connect the printer via an RJ45 on the router. It will then work wifi via the router.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •