• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I get a Colour Laser Printer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    +1 - the Officejet Pro 8620 I've got has lasted 6 years without an issue.

Double sided printing and just wired into the network (as it sits next to the server). Also it happily takes chipped cartridges so printing costs £20 a year.

laserjet 3050 for mono (dirt cheap & reliable toners replaced my LJ4 as it had a scanner) and a brother 9015 cdw colour.

Colour cartridges < £30 Wireless fine
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Surprised by some of the comments about Brother printers... I've had a wireless Brother A3 colour inkjet MFP for a few years and it's one of the most unreliable pieces of tech I ever bought. It's forever losing connectivity or just won't print and I have to reboot it.

I've looked at lots of other wireless alternatives but many seem to have similar connectivity problems.
      I always give my Brother printers a static IP on my network that I don't change once it's assigned.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        I always give my Brother printers a static IP on my network that I don't change once it's assigned.
        Nerd!

Comment

Used to have an A3 Brother printer that the late missus brought for her business. Worked fine except when I got it mixed up with the Brother sewing machine.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I love my colour lasers. I had a B Grade Samsung dirty cheap which lasted me about 5 years until it died. I then had a Xerox which lasted me until it was just out of warranty which was incredibly annoying and Xerox were crap.

I'm now onto Lexmark. It's full duplex, auto feed scan (and duplex scan too), sends e-mails etc etc etc. Cost me £245 + VAT. (Though I can see it's currently selling for £333+VAT).

I didn't purchase toner for the Xerox in the two years I had it. I only got the Lexmark at the start of the year, but despite heavy use by the Mrs for her home schooling all of the included toner is >40%.

Think I had to replace the black once in the five years of the Samsung.

Anyhow, my point is, yes, they do as you think. The toner lasts ages and doesn't dry up. My Samsung barely got touched but would happily print after 6+ months without a second thought. The toner is expensive, though, no getting around that - so if you use it heavily it may not be for you.
            Last edited by vwdan; 1 December 2020, 16:27.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              You won’t get quality colour laser for 200 quid, manufacturers have to make profits on them somehow and it will be painful if you plan to save money upfront
              No, I go one for under £100.

Brother colour laser for around £170 with £75 cashback, came with a set of toner cartridges and clones are under £50 for a full set.

Chose it over the inkjet 'inktank' option that was the other main contender, mainly for more professional (for my plan B) office quality faster no drying time printouts for invoices, letters, and the odd promo material small run for split market testing before payng a pro to bang out a load of the better responded to ones.

Reminds me, I need to make sure that cashback was actually paid out.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I always wanted a Brother, but all my parents had for me was an older sister

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  No, I go one for under £100.

Brother colour laser for around £170 with £75 cashback, came with a set of toner cartridges and clones are under £50 for a full set.

Chose it over the inkjet 'inktank' option that was the other main contender, mainly for more professional (for my plan B) office quality faster no drying time printouts for invoices, letters, and the odd promo material small run for split market testing before payng a pro to bang out a load of the better responded to ones.

Reminds me, I need to make sure that cashback was actually paid out.
                  Yes, I saw this posted months ago and came very close to buying it. It was just a bit too big and the wife was complaining so I skipped it thinking another deal would come along soon. Little did I know a zombie apocalypse would come instead and printer prices would go through the roof.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone , except NorthernLad who should seek help.

I'm still considering.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      I might have to try that - I normally only do strategy not infrastructure LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X