• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I get a Colour Laser Printer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I get a Colour Laser Printer?

Every inkjet printer I've ever had was fiddly and used ink like crazy. A few years back I bought a colour laser printer and found it pretty nice until the end when I spent a fortune to replace the drum and it still didn't work.

Anyway, I need a printer now and I am trying to figure out what I should get. Just very light family printing with the occasional colour for the kid's homework. I'd like to spend less than £200

I'm thinking of this, only because it's in stock:

Lexmark C3326dw - Review 2019 - PCMag UK

I've noticed that ink jets are way more popular than laser printers for colour. Anyone have any inkjet printers I should consider?

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    Every inkjet printer I've ever had was fiddly and used ink like crazy. A few years back I bought a colour laser printer and found it pretty nice until the end when I spent a fortune to replace the drum and it still didn't work.

Anyway, I need a printer now and I am trying to figure out what I should get. Just very light family printing with the occasional colour for the kid's homework. I'd like to spend less than £200

I'm thinking of this, only because it's in stock:

Lexmark C3326dw - Review 2019 - PCMag UK

I've noticed that ink jets are way more popular than laser printers for colour. Anyone have any inkjet printers I should consider?
    My Epson Eco Tank works pretty well, and you just use refill bottles that last for ages, much cheaper than cartridges.

Comment

Laser colour costs a fortune to run and the cheap ones are rather rubbish therefore I get my important colour work done
      professionally. My home office colour work is done on inkjet with an old Brother A3 printer that uses non-chip ink cartridges that cost a few pence to refill. Even a box of 50 cartridges M+C+Y+B cost me £20 and with heavy printing has lasted three years.

If you want reliability with self-cleaning and separate heads, go for an old second-hand Brother that does not use chip
      cartridges.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The price of home printers has gone through the roof (much like webcams) so it's going to be hard to get a good deal.

I've used the Xerox ColorQube solid ink printers for years - expensive initial outlay and not the cheapest to run but my current and previous one have lasted for years, with parts to replace/repair being easy to get hold of and fit.

I've never really gotten on with the cheap end of inkjets and always found the print quality a bit ropey. I would go for a laser as Xerox have discontinued solid ink printers now. I would always buy a colour printer as, although not as cheap, it's really handy.

EDIT: and when my Xerox is finally beyond repair, I'll be getting an A3 printer
        Last edited by ladymuck; 1 December 2020, 09:03.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          The price of home printers has gone through the roof (much like webcams) so it's going to be hard to get a good deal.
          I noticed that too. Was gonna get a better laser printer and the prices have nearly doubled compared with a few years ago.

Thank god we live in an era of low inflation, where our buying power is increasing every year.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Just very light family printing with the occasional colour for the kid's homework.
            Nowt very fancy then. I've got a Canon PIXMA MG2550, was only about £50. Does all I need. Decent quality. I get cheaper cartridges from cartridgesave, work well. Unlike some other replacement suppliers.

PS Used to love my little Lexmark though, he used to talk to me. "Printing started" "Please load paper in the auto sheet feeder"
            Last edited by xoggoth; 1 December 2020, 09:12.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've had a networked colour laser printer for years, Dell 1760, cheap replacement toner cartridges. Only gets light usage but the quality is good enough. No jammed ink jets anymore
              Last edited by anonymouse; 1 December 2020, 09:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Laser colour costs a fortune to run and the cheap ones are rather rubbish therefore I get my important colour work done
                professionally. My home office colour work is done on inkjet with an old Brother A3 printer that uses non-chip ink cartridges that cost a few pence to refill. Even a box of 50 cartridges M+C+Y+B cost me £20 and with heavy printing has lasted three years.

If you want reliability with self-cleaning and separate heads, go for an old second-hand Brother that does not use chip
                cartridges.
                Snap!

Even with black and white stuff if you need lots of copies it is often cheaper and much easier to take it to a print shop.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Bought an HP Color Laser Jet Pro M452nw a few yonks ago. Still going strong.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Brother HL-3140CW (Colour laser).

Best printer I've owned, had it 6 years now.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X